Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found a couple of problems too

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Devbanana, I'm curious to hear more from you as a disabled internet user. What are the major hurdles you come against that makes a site unusable to you? What features can a site offer to you that make it a better experience? If it's not rude or insensitive to ask, what is the exact nature of your disability that makes web browsing difficult?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shufflemoomin View Post
    Devbanana, I'm curious to hear more from you as a disabled internet user. What are the major hurdles you come against that makes a site unusable to you? What features can a site offer to you that make it a better experience? If it's not rude or insensitive to ask, what is the exact nature of your disability that makes web browsing difficult?
    I'm totally blind.

Well, I feel I'm more of an advanced user so am able to get around rather easily. But the things that make it harder for me include:

• Flash - Flash is hit-or-miss, but chances are very good it just will not work at all. Forms in flash are all but impossible, too.
    • Image links without alt attributes: Do what you want with other images, but when you put one in a link and don't give it an alt attribute, it's impossible for me to know what the link is for.
    • Important images without alt attributes: The best example of this I can think of is when there is a table of features, say for a service or product, and there are checkmarks as graphics instead of textual indications of yes or no. Further, when these checkmarks don't have an alt attribute, I can't tell if anything is there or not.
    • Drag and drop, when you have to drag icons or graphics: JAWS (my screen reader) thankfully has the capability of drag-and-drop, as long as I can get from the source to the target in the same screen (without scrolling). However, in the way I have to go about doing it, it usually will not touch icons (say next to the item being dragged), though sometimes I'll get lucky.

Things that make it easier for me:

• Putting an h# tag before the main content, preferrably h1: I can easily skip to headings on the page with a single keystroke (h for heading, 1-6 if I want a specific number), so that is the first thing I look for.

Like I said, it really isn't all that difficult. I'm able to get around most web sites without much trouble.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock
    Jesus is the Good Shepherd

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devbanana
    *Ahem* disabled user here...
    The nice thing about the internet is, he had to tell us that.

Having to ask friends and family to do everything for you gets old real fast. Customer research shows people want to feel in control of the site, to know where they are and where they need to go to get to the whatever it is they're looking for. Anything that makes that harder for them means increased visitor frustration and lower likelyhood that they'll (buy the product, make the donation, use that documentation, return to read more...). When the customer is and feels independent and capable of dealing with your site, they are happier (even if they're not sure why) and if the site sells stuff, this can mean more sales, and a returning customer base.

I strongly doubt a single blind person has ever visited our renewed vehicle insurance sites, but the fact that we don't have to worry or take a phone call because some blind parent wants to set up insurance for their scooter-riding teenager or wants to get a car quote for their brother means less work for the web dev and more customers for the company. We don't have to rewrite stuff, customers don't have to go to some other site because it's easier to get a quote online than it is to do the hassle of calling and giving someone all your information-- I sure wouldn't call for a quote when I can get it online. Less work is a good thing. That should hold true for most sites, really.

Quote Originally Posted by tanicos
    i really don't agree with the 4 things you said about flash disadvantages....not that they are not correct...but really who cares about them when you want a flash site?
    I bolded the last part because actually it can be true-- IF the site exists for the point of simply being Flash (you're a Flash developer or artist and this is your Flash portfolio showing off for example) then yeah, trying to make some non-Flash version of it can be kind of pointless. I mean, lots of us avoid Flash sites because they show shiny sparkly crap we aren't interested in in the first place, so we're not lost customers, because we never WERE potential customers or visitors.

But going to Toyota.com and finding the entire menu doesn't work... we're not there to watch a car commercial, we're there to see if we can find out about that new model sitting in the showroom. That's an example of (either scripts or Flash or both, I'm not sure... I can see menus but almost nothing's clickable) the Bad Idea of a Flash site. Sure, the customer can crawl through the site map, but should they have to? Funny way of saying "Welcome" to a potential customer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devbanana View Post
    I'm totally blind.
    Off Topic:

Give me a few years and I will be there with you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Off Topic:

Give me a few years and I will be there with you
    If you're being serious, I'm sorry to hear.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devbanana View Post
    If you're being serious, I'm sorry to hear.
    Off Topic:

I'll need to learn to live with it. I don't know how I am going to manage to buy the milk though...all the packs have the same size and are made of the same material... and I will not be able to read the labels

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Off Topic:

I'll need to learn to live with it. I don't know how I am going to manage to buy the milk though...all the packs have the same size and are made of the same material... and I will not be able to read the labels
    All you need to do is go directly to the customer service desk when you go into a store, and request assistance. People are generally very nice about it.

If you ever want to talk about any aspects of being blind, you can PM or email me.
    Laudetur Iesus Christus!
    Christ's Little Flock

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    good article for beginners

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article. Along with XAMPP, you might mention MAMP, which is extremely popular on Mac's. Also, I didn't notice any mention of AJAX.

Interesting comments about content management systems. After spending years rolling my own and whipping it into shape, I'm now told I should use someone else's.

But the security issue alone may make it worthwhile. Actually, I have begun incorporating WordPress into my websites.

Sekhar Ravinutala
    Flex is client side (not server side), and you might want to add Java to the server side list.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the information Devbanana. Can't be an easy situation to live with at all. I'll take this information on board and keep it in mind when working on things in the future. Take care man.

SitePoint Member FastLionDesign's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using wampserver on Windows XP for the past few weeks, and it has been working great. From reading the websites, my impression is that wampserver has just the basic Apache, MySQL and PHP (amp). But xampp has more programs and libraries added.

Also, Wordpress blogs have had their share of security problems over the past few years. Hackers go after popular software (which is why they often attack Windows and not Linux). Wordpress is popular so they go after it. So security isn't the best reason to use Wordpress. Simplicity and convenience are good reasons to use Wordpress but not security (unless you're referring to Wordpress' ability to block spam in its comments).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is quite educative. I have always known that there is more to website design than playing around with wordpress. However, I needed someone to point me in the right direction on how to move further. There are too many options and they end up creating so much confusion for the uninitiated.
    From this tutorial, I learnt at least 2 things. Flash, may be beautiful, but it is deficient for SEO for now. Also, learning PHP can take me a step further from where I presently reside.
    Thanks for sharing.

Eric
    Contrary to your statement PERL is one of least difficult languages to learn. Very simple. Ruby (created to be easy and fun) is partially based on PERL, and due to ease of use this is why it is often chosen as a CGI language. Not a bad article other than this misrepresentation.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You could say Python is also based on Perl (!PERL). They certainly share a lot. But Perl gained its reputation for being hard from I think Perl4 and Perl pre-OO.

I wouldn't say it's "very simple." That's like saying English is very simple. It depends on what you try to say or understand with it. Certainly Perl is almost as complex as the natural languages it's based on (Larry built Perl to be like a natural, human language, being a linguist and all).

"Making easy things easy and hard things possible." : )

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job on the article. Unfortunately it's not just self taught beginners that fall into the traps (like flash, graphic only site building or poor web design in general) outlined into the article but even people and institutions that should know better, like Community Colleges.
    I am sure there are good ones where they teach the "right stuff", but the ones I interacted with (as a faculty advisor, never as a student thank goodness) teach web design the way it was over 10 years ago.
    In one college specifically, students never even learned HTML until the last semester. Web design was approached at the level of page layout using Dreamweaver and never getting into the coding part of it.

Until schools and colleges get on with the programs and start hiring real web designers instead of washed out graphic artists we will continue to see Flash intros and absurd "slice and dice" style websites.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    conticreative ++ absolutely.

There's a site I have bookmarked for super-snel tag lookup, from Florida State: http://learningforlife.fsu.edu/webma...es/xhtml/tags/

The program they offer teaches "XHTML1.1" and some other strange things. I feel a bit bad for students coming out of that program, ready to do web design and possibly having no clue what they're doing. This doesn't mean they won't get customers though : (

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usefull article. Thanks