SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rate Based Failover/Handheld Specific Content

Hi everyone.

Having briefly scanned the posts here and the stickies, I believe this to be the best forum for my question - apologies if not and mods - feel free to move :-)

I work with a team on an NZ website with unusual traffic patterns, that-is: For only a short period of time, around 10-15 minutes after an occasional and specific event, our site will experience the kinds of traffic approximately equivalent to it being slashdotted.

On our site are hosted some applications which get hit fairly intensively during such periods making them much slower. However we'd still like to be able to deliver basic facts to users not accessing these services such as latest news, latest analysis, RSS, static-maps etc.

So when under-load, is there a way to reliably detect the connection type a user is requesting content via (Cable, DSL, Mobile network, Dial-up etc) and deliver to them important yet cut-down, easy-to-deliver (minimal XHTML/XHTML-MP) pages?

We have observed the equivalent of this on some other NZ and overseas sites, but would like to ask if there is a 'standard' way of acheiving something like this.

We run the site over several public webservers, each running Apache/Linux.

Many thanks for your time,
    Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update:

For those reading this after the fact - we queried another New Zealand company who did exactly this, and their response to this scenario was Load Balancing and palming off requests for content at times of high load to the Amazon EC2 Cloud.

Sure, it cost $$ per month, but it all depends on how highly available your data needs to be.

Cheers,
    Russ