SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone know of a place to get cheap names

Im looking for cheap domain names... right now the cheapest I've found is 7.99 at fxdomains... im looking for each month to be less than 7.99 not first month $1.99 then $9.99 for each extra month.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wulf2001 View Post
    Im looking for cheap domain names... right now the cheapest I've found is 7.99 at fxdomains... im looking for each month to be less than 7.99 not first month $1.99 then $9.99 for each extra month.
    Domain names are paid (for the renewal) annually not monthly

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is important to consider the pricing after the initial "first" year/special offer period is over. Many newbies often only look at the offer price and decide that is the best option, without looking into the fine print of what the pricing is going to be the following year. In reality, those offers must come up eventually, since registrars take a loss every time they sell one of those low priced domains. They make it back later in higher pricing.

Some offer lower pricing because they also offer add-on services that are typically higher pricing than other companies. The domains they sell are what you call a "loss leader" in order to gain market share.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ldcdc,

The "fine print" on that page shows:

* Domain .com, .net and .org sale pricing is $6.99 for the first year. Domain will renew at $9.95 per year thereafter.

(Emphasis added, of course).

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right David. I'm an idiot.

In any case, $7 or so is what a .com costs the registrars. Anyone selling for less is either hoping to find an idiot who fails to read the fine print, like me, or hoping to sell you some other service soon in the future, usually hosting.

I don't think anyone stops you from transferring over to another registrar after a while, so if saving a few bucks is all that important, registrar hopping may be an option to keep on saving (new transfers sometimes enjoy special pricing too).
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Registrars pay around $7.00 so if you are getting cheaper they are doing it as a loss leader probably to be augmented by upselling of some sort.
    http://www.repossess.net
    Cheap domain names at closeout prices

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in godaddy marketplace you can buy domain com under 5$, i don`t suggest you to looking for the cheapest domain name cuz even if you find new domain for 6$per year they will not offer you good service and they probably will charge you 50-60$ if you want to transfer or change the register.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even so, $10 a year is standard. And a lower initial investment isn't a bad thing if you're just starting out :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $7 a domain and a reputable domain name company are the only way to go for me!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get my domains from maddogdomains.com is really cheap I have bought domains .com as low as $1.99 a year at the end I pay like 4 dollars with private registration. In this matter I think reputation is the think to compare and no prices cuz at the end if you pay $12 or $7 annually that's less than a dollar per month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheap domains should not be a priority. Important is safety and security of the domain
    - whether you are getting free privacy protection and free domain lock or not.
    - Whether prices are really freezed or not.
    - Whether you are getting actual full control of your domain or not.
    - Whether there will be any trouble in future with domain transfer in case you want to transfer domain to another registrar.

Good luck.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netfirms at $5.95 for the first year, if you can deal with their agonizingly slow system.

They have a delay between when you complete anything online and when the process completes. I have done transfers, and seen them complete in the whois an hour or more before it shows up in their control panel.

I have heard that they are afraid of fraud from other that US/Canada credit cards and ask you follow up by faxing a copy of the credit card. They may waive that if you contact them.

To get the $5.95 price you need the coupon: 104DOMSPECIAL only on new registrations not on transfers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use godaddy with "love99" promo code to register domain name for $.99 + ICANN fees.
    Name.com & Yahoo also offers domain name registration for $1.99 only.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The domain is typically the cheapest part of setting up a web site and so trying to save a dollar or two on the domain name will not noticably affect the overall cost of the site. Even if you maintain the site yourself so as to save the biggest part of the running cost, the cost of the hosting will still be many times that of the domain name.

The cost of the domain name is such an insignificant part of the cost of running a site that some big companies pay as much as 10 times what they need to for their domain name simply because it isn't worth their time finding out that they could actually pay a lot less for it and that even if they did pay $7 a year instead of $70 it still doesn't materially affect the tens or hundreds of thousands a year that their site costs to run.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That dollar you save is worth a crispy chicken sandwich, jr. bacon cheeseburger or double stack at Wendy's. I notice a full stomach!

And our members that live where cost of living is much lower than a country like Australia certainly notice that $1.

It's nice to have your own domain even if you use Wordpress or Blogger's free hosting, too

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    And our members that live where cost of living is much lower than a country like Australia certainly notice that $1.
    I wasn't trying to suggest that saving that extra dollar isn't worth it. There justr seem to be lots of people asking how to save money on their domain name when there are far fewer asking how to save money on hosting etc. where there are bigger savings to be made. Why hunt up a dollar a year saving on a domain name when in the same time you could find a dollar a month saving on hosting and buy yourself a crispy chicken sandwich, jr. bacon cheeseburger and double stack and get $9 change. Surely everyone asking that question isn't using "free" hosting (and if they are then there are lots of ways that they can save far more than a dollar a month on what they are paying for most "free" hosting plans).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks