SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do yellowpages and newspaper ads really work for webdesigners?

I'm thinking of advertising my webdesign service by buying a Yellowpage ad or an ad in the local newspaper.

I wonder if anyone actually had any success with these? What kind of clients do you normally get from these? Cheap bastids?

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We had another thread about this earlier and the general consensus was that yellow pages are overly expensive indulgent forms of advertising that have no real place in the modern media for Internet based ventures, with the money you would spend on a small yellow pages advertisement you could get a heck of a lot more interest from buying some premium adwords with a place like Google.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your initial questions should be: who are your best potential clients and where will they look for someone like you? What will entice them to call you?

Answer all those and you'll know the right medium for your advertising as well as be on your way to crafting a message that will connect with them in ways that your competition will not.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My niche clients are small to medium sized businesses. Do you think yellowpages/newspaper will be what these people will most likely look for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you probably need is 2 or 3 sales from that ad and it has paid for itself. (depending on your rates) It is especially good for local business targeting.
    Maarten

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @skunker: it's unlikely that a small or medium-sized business would look for anyone technical in the yellow pages. I don't say that it's completely impossible, but it's rather unlikely.

It sounds like you really aren't clear on who your potential client really is or what about that business would attract them to your business, so I recommend networking so that you can meet some of these companies and ask them questions about what they need and where they would look for people like you. Check out your local chamber of commerce or business club named after a large animal (lions, elks, whatever) and just talk with people who don't do what you do (don't sell them on anything, but be inquisitive about their business and their thoughts on things).
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I get clients from a free ads paper. I'm guessing it depends on who your target market is.

The Yellow pages is a bit expensive for me and I doubt my target market looks in there.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got listed in a local yellow pages directory which bought in a couple of leads. I didn't have to pay for the listing because it was a local yellow pages directory. But ultimately I don't think it is an effective method of advertising for web services given the alternatives available.

Cheers,
    Colin
    Colin Burns
    http://www.cmsadvantage.com
    Founder & CEO, cmsadvantage
    The premier CMS for Web & Graphic Designers

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    We had another thread about this earlier and the general consensus was that yellow pages are overly expensive indulgent forms of advertising that have no real place in the modern media for Internet based ventures, with the money you would spend on a small yellow pages advertisement you could get a heck of a lot more interest from buying some premium adwords with a place like Google.
    I'd have to agree with Alex's comments here.

Most folks that I know, myself included, use the yellow pages to search for solutions to emergencies like plumbing or electrical problems when you don't really have the time to ask friends or family who they'd recommend.

More thought and planning usually goes into developing a website and I think most people would use the YP to find a designer as a last resort if they couldn't find one any other way.

If you have the money and can afford to lose it you can test it out and see how well it works for you, but I think there are a lot more effective ways you can find new business.

Online marketing and networking are great ideas that have already been mentioned, and one of the best marketing methods I know would be to develop a joint venture with another local business.

Ask yourself "who else does business with my ideal client?" and then see if they'd be willing to help promote your business to their clients. For example a local accountant or office supply store might be willing to do a mailing to their clients recommending your services and you could pay them a percentage of the profits or a fixed fee for each client they refer to you.

There are all kinds of ways you could work with other business owners to market to their customer lists and one of the best things about arrangements like this is that you don't have to spend much until you get the new business you're looking for. Sure you might have some costs like printing or mailing expenses, but something like this would be much less expensive than committing to a YP advertisement for a year.

Oh and do a search on Sitepoint for articles written by Andrew Neitlich. He's given out some great marketing advice but since he stopped writing for SP a while ago you'll have to dig a little to find the good stuff!

Hope this helps!

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!