I made a little class to handle images, resizing and stuff. I also made a little factory that takes an image in $_FILES and turns it into an Image object. I also made a little gateway that handles inserting a record into the db for each iamge. And yet... I don't even have error handling yet and my code looks like this:

PHP Code:
        if (strlen ($_FILES['image']['name']) > 0)    {

$image_data $this->imagesGateway->insert(array ('filename' => ''));

$image_data['filename'] = 'images/image' $image_data['id'] . '.jpg';

$this->imagesGateway->update ($image_data['id'], $image_data);

$image $this->factory->create ($_FILES['image']);

$image->saveJpeg ('../' $image_data['filename']);

$_POST['image_id'] = $image_data['id'];
        } elseif (
$_POST['remove_image'])    {

$this->imagesGateway->delete ($page->image_id);
            @
unlink ('../images/image' $page->image_id '.jpg');
        }

$this->pagesGateway->update ($page->id$_POST); 
I have never seen a clean way of handling images right from the request... most examples I see are using PHP functions and have no abstraction whatsoever.

I feel like this is way too much for the controller to handle. I would love it if I could refactor out some code into something like this:

PHP Code:
        if ($this->files->get ('image'))    {
            try {

$image $this->imagesGateway->save ($this->files->get ('image'));
            } catch (
Exception $e)    {

$this->addError ($e->getMessage());
            }

$page->add ($image);

$pagesGatway->update ($page->id$page)
        } 
Aside from just copying the code above, I have a lot of design decisions to make. Should I have an intercepting filter that watches for images in $_FILES and makes Image objects available in the controller? If so, should the intercepting filter be looking for errors and providing them to the controller as well? If there was an upload error I can't create an image handle from the image, so it would have to have at least a small amount of error handling.

And then, I've got two separate places I need to save that image: physically in the filesystem, preferably with a name that links it to a record in the database ('images/image60.jpg') and then I need to save in the database, preferably with the whole url. I could make two separate gateways, but as you can see these overlap. I could make one gateway... but I worry that I won't have enough control at that point. What if I need to save an image in another location? What if I need images saved in a different part of the database?

In short, I feel like there are things I can be doing to make this controller much lighter, but I'm not really sure what those things are...