SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best platform/engine for a portfolio type site?

Hi guys and gals, I'm going to be starting to design a site for a friend and artist soon, and of course the first and sometimes toughest question is how exactly to code it as far as CMS, php, etc are concerned.
    The concept for the site is pretty similar to a webcomic, except that posts will be graphics, text, or video.. but a chronological archive is important.
    I want to use some sort of CMS so that he can easily do updates himself, but I have limited experience with anything outside of Wordpress.
    Wordpress could be a good option, of course. I need something that's pretty flexible as far as the css and look and feel of the site bc he has a specific atmosphere etc in mind.. i thinnk wordpress may be the best bet, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of other things I might use that maybe are somewhat more streamlined toward that purpose but still very flexible, or good bases to build something onto. I've heard of cakephp, but I don't quite understand how I'd go about using it or what it's quite supposed to do lol.

I'm an intermediate-ish designer, but I am not afraid of getting my hands into coding and php etc, in fact I sort of want to learn as much as I can about everything.
    So lemme know what you think! pros/cons, recommendations etc. thanks so much

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is easy to create templates for, you can change pretty much everything, you can even change the code with the editor inside wordpress itself.

Hundreds of plugins available and very easy to create galleries with the nextgen gallery plugin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd agree just throw wordpress up with a few plugins and it'll be easiest because of how quick the setup process is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i using blogger and i see it very well