SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I webmaster for a directory project (Lincs.co.uk) and we use MySQL and PHP.

In our experience PHP and MySQL are both well upto the job, especially now we upgraded to PHP4 + Optimizer. Also since we had some free time we sat down and tweaked the SQL to make it more scaleable and get that extra few milliseconds of performance out of the site.

Also PHP is easy to learn, well supported, pretty much platform independant and wide spread - It is the most populat Apache module after all.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

I am working on building a directory (like yahoo, but more specialized) and was thinking about using a static database in which I can just automatically generate a set of static html pages and then upload to my server.

If anyone had any suggestions as to what the best system to use for this is, I would appreciate it. The directory that I am building is in my sig if you want to get an idea of the layout.

Thanks!

------------------
    http://www.schedulebay.com - for all your scheduling needs
    owen@schedulebay.com

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're on a linux/unix server use PHP and MySQL if you're on an NT server use Cold Fusion and Access.

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

My company is working on a directory project too. As long as we're developing for the Windows 2000 / NT platform we start the project in ASP using Access 2000 as the database. Later when the site becomes fully functional you can easily UPSCALE it to MS SQL.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Person:
    Hello all,

I am working on building a directory (like yahoo, but more specialized) and was thinking about using a static database in which I can just automatically generate a set of static html pages and then upload to my server.

If anyone had any suggestions as to what the best system to use for this is, I would appreciate it. The directory that I am building is in my sig if you want to get an idea of the layout.

Thanks!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    george sazandrishvili

BEALTE WEB STUDIO
    http://www.bealte.com