SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.php Scuba Diving Application

Im quietly confidant in my .php skills for general website backend stuff, however im considering recreating A Recreational Dive Planner for Scuba diving bottom times and surface intervals (Scuba divers will know what i mean)..

Im going to be working in .php and MySQL, once im up and running with how to set out the MySQl db then i believe that coding the .php side of things will be the lesser evil, although i do know it will test my limits.

So i've been seriously looking at a well known Recreational Dive Planner and the more i look at it the more i become confused at how to turn it into a database, ie pressure groups to be tied to both dive depths, time limits and surface intervals as well as RNT's and repetetive diving

Are there any coders who are divers out there who have done a similar project who dont mind giving me a heads up on where to start, im not asking for some-one to do it for me just a point in the right direction.. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done the basic PADI course so I kindof know what you are after.

Can you re-explain what you want the website to do?
    Write stories, not details

If you do find yourself requiring words to explain a new feature or concept, write a brief story about it. Don't get into the technical or design details, just tell a quick story. Do it in a human way, like you would in normal conversation.

It doesn't need to be an essay. Just give the flow of what happens. And if you can include the brief story in context with screens you are developing, all the better.

Stick to the experience instead of getting hung up on the details. Think strategy, not tactics. The tactics will fall into place once you begin building that part of your app. Right now you just want to get a story going that will initiate conversation and get you on the right track.
    source
    Studiotime - Time Management for Web Developers
    to-do's, messages, invoicing, reporting - 30 day free trial!
    Thomas Multimedia Web Development

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly thanks for the reply..

Here goes, its all about off gassing Nitrogen and minimising the risk of the Bends!

I will use the PADI RDP (recreational dive planner tables) as an example. here is a picture for referance of what the dive tables actually look like. The top table is side 1 and the bottom table is side 2.

When planning a dive the diver firstly has to decide on the depth of the dive, the depths are on table 1 (top row under the black pointers).

Then the diver has to decide on the dive time or the maximimum allowable dive time (which is the column directly underneath each depth), this will then be read off to the left and the diver will be given a pressure group from (A-Z far left of the table).

If the diver plans on more than one dive his pressure group is then cross referenced over to the right of table 1 where he decides on his surface interval, which is then read downwards to show his new pressure group after any given time allowed for his surface interval. Some surface intervals are not allowed due to still having a high build of Nitrogen in the body tissues.

We then go over to table 2 where we can then plan the 2nd dive (table 2 is not so much of a problem as its almost the same as table 1).

hope this has made things a little clearer, thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah yes its all coming back to me now

I think you'll want take the actual math the table is based on and apply it to you calculations. That way you would only need to know first dive time/depth, second dive time/depth, surface interval. I don't think you would even need a database - you would just define the rules as variables/constants for re-use.

so it would be something like (depth + dive time + interval) * $x = residual oxygen; dive 2 possibilities = array.

I guess you'll have to weigh up how flexible you want the results to be - the hard way would be hand coding a tonne of if statements to basically return the exact same results as the table.

I would prefer to input my dive plan (x amount of dives) and see the recovery times and see warnings if i'm going into the red.

Let me know what solution you go with.
    Studiotime - Time Management for Web Developers
    to-do's, messages, invoicing, reporting - 30 day free trial!
    Thomas Multimedia Web Development