SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much should I sell my site for?

So I depend on selling my sites for income. Usually the sites I sell don't make anything and have little traffic, but i sell them around $150 - 200.

I got lazy and hadn't made any sites lately so I need money. I was thinking, how much could I sell a site that makes $20 - 50 daily.

I worked on it for 3 days and let it sit and hadn't done anything to promote the site since. If I went back to promoting, I could get alot more.

It's basically a site where people do a survey to reach an locked page (like cpalead), but I used a script and get paid aroun $1 for every survey done.

If anyone has an idea please let me know.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I went back to promoting, I could get alot more.
    And if I created my own site I wouldn't need to buy one from you!

Concentrate on the certainities. Slip in some "ifs" there and you come across as a little too smooth.

Sites making $20-$30 a day are worth the same as sites making $0 a day in many cases unless there is a long history of earnings involved. No, long history isn't two weeks. Think years.

If you put in enough effort you could make your business bigger than Google's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pretty standard rule of thumb in the past has been 10 months' average income.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average profit, it should be. If you put in 4 hours of work to make $30 a day, unless you think the buyer should work for minimum wage, that site is not profitable.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pretty standard rule of thumb in the past has been 10 months' average income.
    There is no standard rule of thumb. It's strange how people keep making these figures up.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitMedley Post View Post
    There is no standard rule of thumb. It's strange how people keep making these figures up.
    To elaborate, its important to look at history of site and earnings, quality of earnings, sources of revenue and traffic etc. The list goes on.

But probably not a good idea to necessarily base it on 10 months earnings, because if you look at sales here on sitepoint, it is not often thec ase a site goes for 10 times monthly earnings
    nEquity
    - Website M&A Advisory
    - Website Valuations & Due Diligence
    http://www.nequityonline.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitMedley Post View Post
    Well my post was definitely poorly worded, so I'm tired - call the Queen of Hearts to deal the punishment.

I understand that it's case-by-case; however, from what I've seen in the past this is a figure I used to see many people targetting as a random ballpark. Though maybe the amounts have changed since I was browsing the forums, and maybe the sample audience is a bit different here.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ 3six:

when I say if, im being genuine here because its the truth. I hadn't gone back to promoting because im trying out new things. I was going to work on promoting every few days but stopped after 3 days. Then the money been comming in on autopilot since. I hadn't even looked at the site since a week ago.

@dan

The thing is there is really little work to do with the site. Unless you want to promote, theres no work involved. The $30 a day is all profit. The only thing I did was pay someone once $10 to do some work for me. This is work I could do myself, but was doing so many things at once I just hired someone. So its pure profit everyday.

@pudding

I think it's too new to base it on 10 months earning.

Thanks for the tips guys. If anyone wants to add on please do!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from what I've seen in the past this is a figure I used to see many people targetting as a random ballpark.
    If you saw it mentioned somewhere it was by someone who picked a completely arbitrary figure. Others have picked 12x or 24x or 3x as the "rule of thumb". Just as you've mentioned it here someone may pick up that 10x figure and mention it elsewhere - and it gets repeated - that doesn't make it the correct estimate. If you look around you'll see various "experts" pointing out that 15x or 8x or 60x is the right multiple. They all swear by their figure on the grounds that they saw it mentioned elsewhere. They aren't correct either.

Though maybe the amounts have changed since I was browsing the forums, and maybe the sample audience is a bit different here.
    Whatever the audience changes here or the bidding variations, there was never a time when 10x was a general guide or a "ball park". There never was a general guide multiple.

To elaborate, its important to look at history of site and earnings, quality of earnings, sources of revenue and traffic etc. The list goes on.
    Absolutely. In some cases 3x is too much and it other cases 24x is too little. The only sites listed that are worth around 10x are the ones that will eventually sell for around 10x and that's a tiny, tiny minority of the sites that come up for sale at Sitepoint.

And Dan has a point, "income" is vague - it's about the profit. Net profit. Profit after costs. Profit after paying yourself a fair wage for the time spent.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadsn View Post
    The $30 a day is all profit. The only thing I did was pay someone once $10 to do some work for me. This is work I could do myself, but was doing so many things at once I just hired someone. So its pure profit everyday.
    Nothing will irk people more than statements like this one when you are trying to sell a site.

It's like saying "I really didn't want a free 10k a year for doing no work so I didn't bother trying but if you feel like it you'll make it easy."

If it was that easy, you would continue doing it and not bother selling the site.

If it were that easy, you'd repeat the process with another 9 similar sites and bring in 100k a year for no work.

Yet you choose not to do that, therefore it can't be that easy.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit, I was tempted to pick on that statement myself.

Assertions such as these tend to give away the relative inexperience of the seller and most buyers ignore them. However, and I say this hesitantly, there are some first time buyers out there who don't appreciate accounting for their own time. It's not impossible that such statements actually appeal to them.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ tke71709:

you are right, but like I said I always flip sites. I would rather have money now than wait a month to be paid by the affiliate networks.

If you read from the start, I said that I need money right now. I would love to hold onto this site and work on it maybe once a month. But I need money right now so I have no choice to sell. I was thinking about selling the method myself to get some money, but I'd rather sell the site.