SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inserting Records / Connecting Question

Hi there, I'm trying to insert records into a database, not sure if anyone is familiar with godaddy or not but I need to set permissions to my database because I'm getting an error "Operation must use an updateable query." Anyways I am able to set permissions for a directory that contains my database but I can't connect to it.

I'm currently using this to display results from a database and it works great, but the database is in the same directory as the file:

Code VBNET:
            objConn = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OleDb.4.0;Data Source=" &server.mappath("CollegeDB.mdb"))

But I'm trying to insert records now into the database, and the folder that I can change the permissions to is located in access_db, Idk what to do, I appreciate any help, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The error relates to MS Access not allowing the ASPNET client to write to the database. I forget the exact steps in access to stop this, but do a Google search or ask GoDaddy support.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbutler View Post
    The error relates to MS Access not allowing the ASPNET client to write to the database. I forget the exact steps in access to stop this, but do a Google search or ask GoDaddy support.
    they said windows account does not support permissions, only by switching it to linux, but if I change it to linux does my access database still be supported or no?

SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds a bit dodgy 2 me. How can only linux have db write permission, but not windows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a windows authentication issue. They just need to add the ASPNET user account to the Access database, should be a simple task.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NightStalker-DNS View Post
    That sounds a bit dodgy 2 me. How can only linux have db write permission, but not windows?
    I know I wish I woulda known about this sooner, this completely throws me off. They allow me to create a mysql database, do you know how I can connect to that? If I switch over to a mysql database from an access database, what will have to change, just the connection?