SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Marcellpurham's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wordpress read more!

I am coding a wordpress theme and for some odd reason the read more link is not showing up on the index.php file. It happens to work for the archives.php, and single page.php. I have looked at about everything on the internet. The excerpt is working fine but it has no read more link index.php. anyone have a solution?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the code you're using to display the post description the same in index.php and archives.php?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Is the code you're using to display the post description the same in index.php and archives.php?
    no in the archive the code is <?php the_content() ?>

in index.php the code is <?php the_excerpt(' Continue reading this post!'); ?>

The excerpt works fine but it dose not show the read more link

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the_excerpt tag has any parameters, like the_content tag does, however you can control where a post in the posts listings cuts off by adding <!--more--> in each post where you want it to cut off at.

Or you can use the_excerpt and add the read more link after that in your theme files:
    Code PHP:
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    <p><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link to <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>">Read the rest of <?php the_title(); ?></a></p>
    Hope it helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    I don't think the_excerpt tag has any parameters, like the_content tag does, however you can control where a post in the posts listings cuts off by adding <!--more--> in each post where you want it to cut off at.

Or you can use the_excerpt and add the read more link after that in your theme files:
    Code PHP:
    <?php the_excerpt(); ?>
    <p><a href="<?php the_permalink() ?>" rel="bookmark" title="Permanent Link to <?php the_title_attribute(); ?>">Read the rest of <?php the_title(); ?></a></p>
    Hope it helps.
    Thank you soo much... Ive been looking for that all day.....