Thread: Css/html newbie

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Css/html newbie

Need some help with designing my website. g2xx
    i will have many pages on there which will be the same style & it looks like css is the way to go.
    I have NO experience of cs or html coding so this is a no no for me!
    I use frontpage. my idea is this:
    if i design my basic page in frontpage. copy the code to a .css page & save it. Then use the .css page to apply to many other new pages. Can this be done?. My issue is as I mentioned I am not capable of constructing the .css page in code - can frontpage (html) code be used or is there a similar way!

thanks in advance.

many more questions - but this one first

thanks again

gjc

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Sitepoint.

Well, yes and no.

You can use one .css file to style all of your HTML files but...

Frontpage is very old and does not know what .css is either (i think) I have never actually used it, but like all WYSIWYG editors, you don't really get what you see.

WYSIWYG editors can assist someone that knows what HTML and CSS is/does in various ways, but you still really need at least a basic understanding of what is going on, so when the editor does something wrong you can spot it.

It might be time to learn HTML/CSS. Not what you want to hear, I know, but the good news is, you have come to the right place for such a thing.

Ask all the questions you want and I or someone more knowledgeable than myself will be glad to assist.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have a file for your styles only, and another for the HTML, then Frontpage will not have trouble to save your file as CSS and give it the .css extension for you.

As BPartch has explained, the problem with WYSIWYG editors is not saving files with one extension or the other, the issue comes with the code they create and the lack of control by the user. What you see in Frontpage may not be what the browser will display.

For this reason, you do need a basic understanding of what you are doing.

While you are a newbie, you have done at least some research. You know that it is better to keep your styles in separate .css file so that you can use it in the new pages!

By all means, use FP if you know how to do it and feel comfortable with it. You need to get started.

Be aware, though, that when you ask your questions here, we will be looking at the code, and we will let you know why the code is (or isn't working). So, at the end, you'll learn to code!

Give SP a few months and put a little effort on you side, and you will be a code guy like us.

Sorry. You are doomed!

PS: Oh. And You'll have a site, too

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both BP and Molona give great advice. Let me add my voice: do NOT use FrontPage. Just don't do it. If you absolutely can't take the time and effort to learn HTML and CSS on your own (by far the best method), then at least use Dreamweaver. But FrontPage will just cause you tremendous headaches, both up front and down the road.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm overwhelmed by the response. u chaps are obviously very passionate about this subject & this css pagan thinks i better get dreamweaver as a first stop. i have seen this many times on the web. ok will do it!

i'll be back

& thanks again

gjc

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys

just installed dreamweaver! so will take some time to figure it out. my site will consist of a product page which will repeat many times (with different product pic & description).
    so to begin with do i design a html page or a .css page. keeping in mind that i have NO coding experience. starting witha blank .css for me is daunting - actually i have no idea so not really daunting ha!
    i understand the basic idea of te css page being applied to all the html product pages to maintain a consistant look - instead of pages jumping around as they are now.
    ok. better get back to my friend dremweaver haha!

gjc

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best of luck.

I would suggest that you visit this thread:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47900

It has lots of links to online resources on every single subject that you can think of and related to web building, including tutorials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used Dreamweaver in about 5-8 years now, so I'm not really sure what their setup is for linking to external stylesheets
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" href="style.css" />
    is generally what I use between the <head></head> tags to link my external stylesheets.

A few good resources
    http://www.sitepoint.com/article/htm...ginners-guide/
    http://W3Schools.com it's another excellent resource.
    http://reference.sitepoint.com/css

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're trying to get a relatively large site up within a few days, you're putting yourself under tremendous pressure with a relatively thin knowledge base. You might consider (as a stopgap measure) using an open-source template that you can modify with relative ease. Just do a search for "open source html template" and remember, you want a template that is HTML 4.01 Strict-compliant, uses CSS (not tables!), and looks professional. These guys produce energetic and relatively attractive designs, though I have some questions about their coding choices.

But, if you aren't under crunching time pressure, it's far better to do it yourself.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys
    thanks for the encouragement - first of all i'm going to give it a go as the site is pretty simple I think.
    anyway - first issue. tying to set up site definitions. cannot see default folders -events,extras,install,company etc etc
    am i missing something?
    set up root folder & tried to define. following a tutorial from adobe.
    hope its clear

gjc

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are misunderstanding things a bit.

You do not make a css page. CSS is just a list of instructions to style the html, and is kept in a .css file.
    All your web pages will be html pages, just avoid adding inline styles to the content.
    With Dreamweaver, once you have your desing finalised, you can create a template based on it, and use that to make all your other pages from. And if you change the template - say adding a new menu item, it then appears on every other page in the site. Setting up the edittable (content) areas in a DW template can be fiddly, so it's best to practice on a dummy site first - you only need two pages to get play with to experiment with the template.

So you create your web page, then with the basic but ugly content in place, you create css styles and apply them to the contents. So you create styles for the h1, h2, h3, p, a:link, a:visited, a:hover, a:active tags, and for the divs that hold your content.

Many people work out whether they want two columns or three, a header or footer or both, where the menu will be, and create the divs and basic styles to get the layout they want first, then add the content, then add the styles for the content.

To get a basic introduction to what is involved, visit www.cssbasics.com and www.htmldog.com. And only after reading these sites, plan your own site, then build it.

As for default folders, you don't normally have each page in a separate folder (perhaps ypu are being confused by FP's very confusing way of working and assuming that normal web software works the same strange way). If you have a very big site you might separate topics so that, say 10 pages on this topic and 20 pages on that topic and 25 pages on another topic are each in different folders. But normally you'd keep all html pages in your chosen site folder, and then create an images folder and a scripts folder, to keep images and scripts in.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi & thanks again
    i think i get the basic idea as outlined by you. reading the tutorial I was trying to begin using dreamweaver to make my basic webpage. my issue is when 'setting up the site' i could not define the site as i described in my previous post.
    default folders -events,extras,install,company - my understanding is that these would be set up by default?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that you are using the "Site" menu and the "New site" Command

If you are in the local info tab, the root folder is just a normal folder in your PC. This will be the folder where DW will store all the pages related to this site when you create them. There are no subfolders there, you are the one creating the structure.

If you are in the remote info tab, the root folder is defined by your ISP, it is where at least the index page should go. Your FTP account maybe was created so that you can't see the folder structure above this folder, and you may only be able to see the folders below. There may be some folders there, depending on the services installed by your ISP.

There is a third option, the Test Server. This is a web server that you may have installed in your computer for testing purposes and get everything right before it is uploaded to your ISP server. To know what's the root folder there, you need to refer to the documentation of whatever web server you installed. There will be no subfolders there, unless you have installed web services as well as a web server.

I hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your not that good in CCS have someone who can do it for you. Frontpage is easy to use but so old. Yeah, I agree with the guys, who said you must use dream weaver instead.This one is great html,css text editor.
    office space ortigas
    (+63) 2-703-5514

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    guys i decided this is no for me. i don't feel i have the time nor capabilities to get the job done. i am interested to use dreamweaver & css !

not sure if this is the correct place but I would be looking for someone with experience to finish the job for me. I've checked the 'design contests' - not for me. can anyone point me in the correct direction.

my site is quite simple & revolves around a product page.
    any help appreciated.
    <snip>
    Last edited by AutisticCuckoo; May 8, 2009 at 05:59. Reason: Personal info removed

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1) Careful with your personal information. You can't give it just like that. It breaks the forum rules. The reason we don't allow it is to proctect forum members from spam and from unwanted calls. I would suggest that they pm you first.

2) Try the marketplace and see what services are offered there.

You can either go to "Advertise your services" and see what's being offered there, or to "Looking to hire" if you want to post your own job.

If you are not convinced, look at guru.com, elance.com and similar and see if you can arrange something that fits your budget.

NOTE: whatever you choose... do your homework and investigate the person that will do the work. You need to make sure that (s)he's reliable and will do it in budget and time.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or http://99designs.com . (But duh, you said you checked the design contests. Never mind.)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should see tutorials at tizag. They are really good