SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Web Design Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question about selling a domain

    I purchased a .net domain name a few years ago with the intentions of using it for a site. The site never happened and I'm just looking to get rid of this domain name now.

    The domain name is very specific and is a shortened version of another name (with an abbreviation). It's seven characters long and two words (one word is a two letter abbreviation). The .com of this domain is owned by same group that owns the .com and .net of the name without the abbreviation.

    My question is if it's customary to approach a group like this asking if they're interested in purchasing the domain from me (since they own the .com of the same name)?

    Is that something that is typically done in looking for a buyer?
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

  2. #2
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    20,580
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it's customary, but I've gotten e-mails before from people offering to sell me versions of my domains with other extensions.

  3. #3
    Web Design Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I don't know if it's customary, but I've gotten e-mails before from people offering to sell me versions of my domains with other extensions.
    Have you ever replied with an offer?

    I'm curious about copyrights too. The domain isn't for a company or anything. It's actually an event that takes place every year, so I don't know if legally they could take the domain from me or not if they wanted too? If it came down too it, I don't have a problem just giving them the domain if there are legal issues with my owning it, but if I can get some money for it, I would definitely prefer to take that route.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

  4. #4
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    20,580
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, if I wanted the other extension I would've registered it up front.

    A domain can't infringe a copyright right, but it can infringe a trademark. You'd have to look up (USPTO's website has a search function) whether there's a trademark on their name. Your domain doesn't have to exactly match the trademark to infringe, only be "confusingly similar" (close enough that someone might think you're associated with the trademark holder).

  5. #5
    Web Design Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    No, if I wanted the other extension I would've registered it up front.
    That's what I figured.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    A domain can't infringe a copyright right, but it can infringe a trademark. You'd have to look up (USPTO's website has a search function) whether there's a trademark on their name. Your domain doesn't have to exactly match the trademark to infringe, only be "confusingly similar" (close enough that someone might think you're associated with the trademark holder).
    Looks like there is a trademark on this name. It's not exact, but like you said, it's close enough.

    So, even though I don't plan to do anything with the domain, given that they have a trademark on the name, is it even worth hanging onto or approaching them about purchase? I guess legally they could take it from me anyway, right?
    Last edited by deronsizemore; May 4, 2009 at 05:14.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

  6. #6
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Philadephia, PA
    Posts
    20,580
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it can hurt to ask. If you're not doing anything with the name, you're not doing anything damaging they can sue for. They'd either ignore you, pay you, or demand the name for free, none of which is worse than letting it expire.

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard SiberForum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose that you can try to sell that at least for the registration fee. I have seen a lot of such offers and as rule they ended with a deal

  8. #8
    Web Design Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,152
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    I don't think it can hurt to ask. If you're not doing anything with the name, you're not doing anything damaging they can sue for. They'd either ignore you, pay you, or demand the name for free, none of which is worse than letting it expire.
    Good point. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
    Deron Sizemore
    ----------
    My Sites: LogoGala | Golf Ledger (coming soon)
    Twitter: Deron Sizemore

  9. #9
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you don't receive offers for the name, you can list it on a domain marketplace such as SEDO and also send emails to potential purchasers. Good luck


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •