SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managing multiple email addresses

I had a thread about this several years ago here but it petered out without a satisfactory resolution and when I tried to restart it the Sitepoint bot suggested I start a new thread . . .

Briefly, I'm into lots of stuff - software, art, poetry, business, etc, so I want to have different email addresses for each activity but I want them all to go to the same inbox so I don't have to log into n different accounts to check my email.

My website is hosted by HostMySite but their webmail offering ("Smartermail") is lame. I don't have the option of installing a different email client (at least not for what I'm paying) but I DO have the option of routing my email to a different provider while retaining my @pnArt.com email address.

Aliases don't solve this because if someone sends email to an alias, e.g., myalias@pnart.com it goes to my root account inbox, say, myroot@pnart.com so when I hit "reply" the recipient sees the mail coming from myroot@pnart.com, not myalias@pnart.com. Furthermore, if HE replies it goes to the global "reply-to" address which is a THIRD address because I don't want the root address in general circulation, to minimize spam to my root email.

I'm getting complaints from clients and customers about this because they're not sure which email address they're expected to use.. Is there any third-party email provider that lets me have multiple aliases or identities that I can process from ONE inbox, but where the alias or identity is applied in a consistent way so my clients see just ONE email address from me?

Thanks in advance.
    My Art and Photography Website - pnArt.com -
    My Blog - blog.nelsondev.net -

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are the reasons you can't install a different email client? I would recommend Thunderbird which is free, and can be set up as you describe to receive lots of different email addresses in to one global inbox. You can then reply to each email using any of your aliases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why to set up different email clients as you can use one with multiply accounts?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gmail will do this.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chestnutgirl View Post
    What are the reasons you can't install a different email client?
    Ask HostmySite.

I have a Windows-hosted software developer site (I'm primarily a software engineer) with lots of tools and features (e.g., Microsoft SQL Server) which I like for developing software, and I like HostMySite because they are a big, fully-staffed service with their own servers and they've been around for a long time. So I'm not looking to change hosting companies, but the cheapest product they offer which would give me the ability to install another client is about $450, which is about $150 more than I'm paying now.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why to set up different email clients as you can use one with multiply accounts?
    I explained this in the OP - if I use whole separate accounts then I have to log into each one separately just to check my mail, which is too inconvenient. I have about 8 email aliases I currently use regularly.

Gmail will do this
    I thought Gmail was ad-based. I don't want my clients or customers (or me) to have to look at ads. Does gmail offer a totally ad-free product for a fee?

Anyway, how does gmail get around the problems I described? If I have multiple aliases in gmail going to the same inbox, and I Reply to an email does the recipient see it coming from the alias, and when he replies, does it still go to the alias?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use entourage (mac version of outlook). I have 5 different emails each with different domains, but the principle is the same if they are different email accounts. I have set up all the addresses and just hit Send and Receive (well this automatically checks for me).

All of the new messages go into the same inbox and then when I reply to a particular email it sends from them address rather than a generic address. Entourage is smart enough to figure all this out, so I suspect the Microsoft Outlook would be the same, I am sure Thunderbird would also be smart enough.

I know you said you don't want to check multiple accounts, but if it's automated I don't see how it hurts??? Sorry if I have missed something important in your explanation.

Cheers,
    Colin
    Colin Burns
    http://www.cmsadvantage.com
    Founder & CEO, cmsadvantage
    The premier CMS for Web & Graphic Designers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plnelson View Post
    I thought Gmail was ad-based. I don't want my clients or customers (or me) to have to look at ads. Does gmail offer a totally ad-free product for a fee?

Anyway, how does gmail get around the problems I described? If I have multiple aliases in gmail going to the same inbox, and I Reply to an email does the recipient see it coming from the alias, and when he replies, does it still go to the alias?
    Yes: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccburns View Post
    I use entourage (mac version of outlook).

. . .

I know you said you don't want to check multiple accounts, but if it's automated I don't see how it hurts??? Sorry if I have missed something important in your explanation.

Cheers,
    Colin
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough - I alluded to this but maybe I should have stated it explicitly - I'm looking for a web-hosted email solution. I have 3 computers at home and typically I'll check my email from whichever one I'm using at the moment, and I might want to check my email from work or when I'm traveling or visiting somewhere, plus my next cellphone will be more webby than my current one, so I pretty much live on the web.

But, yes, you're right that multiple email accounts are fine if it's all handled automagically.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    Google's Premium Edition charges $50/user where they define each user as "user1@...", "user2@...", etc. So if I currently have 8 active aliases that's $400 just for my email. Keep in mind that for $150 more than I'm paying now I can upgrade my whole site to one where I can install my own email client on HostMySite. So it doesn't sound like $400 is very cost effective for me - I have the impression that their "Premium Edition" is really designed for enterprise use, whereas I'm just one guy with a website, trying to keep his email organized for me and my clients.

I couldn't find where on Google they described how to manage multiple accounts so that I address the problems I described above, so I guess I have to take your word that this would actually solve the problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google's Premium Edition charges $50/user where they define each user as "user1@...", "user2@...", etc. So if I currently have 8 active aliases that's $400 just for my email. Keep in mind that for $150 more than I'm paying now I can upgrade my whole site to one where I can install my own email client on HostMySite. So it doesn't sound like $400 is very cost effective for me - I have the impression that their "Premium Edition" is really designed for enterprise use, whereas I'm just one guy with a website, trying to keep his email organized for me and my clients.

I couldn't find where on Google they described how to manage multiple accounts so that I address the problems I described above, so I guess I have to take your word that this would actually solve the problem.
    I use the free version(or rather it came with my hosting) so I cannot say for sure on the cost. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the free version(or rather it came with my hosting) so I cannot say for sure on the cost. http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html
    So what's the story on the ads? Nothing is really "free" and my understanding was that gmail was ad-supported. But I just checked email I received from 2 people using gmail addresses and it didn't seem to have embedded ads.

So what's their business model and where do ads fit in?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are ads in the free accounts, they appear in the actual emails and are based off of the content within the email. I use ad block plus which hides them, maybe you are using this as well?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes there are ads in the free accounts, they appear in the actual emails and are based off of the content within the email. I use ad block plus which hides them, maybe you are using this as well?
    Yes, now that you mention it, I am using ABP. That explains why I don't see the ads. But of course that won't prevent people who get email from me from seeing ads, so "free" gmail is out.

So, is there something between free and $400 out there that I can use to solve this?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Verizon DSL and it comes with a free email account. So I thought I'd check it out, since I'd be able to map my incoming and outgoing mail servers to them. At first it was very promising - I discovered I could create an alias and if I sent email to that alias, and then replied from my Verizon account the "From" and "Reply To" addresses still reflected that alias. Excellent, I thought!

Then I discovered that Verizon only allows ONE alias!

What good is that?

So how do other small businesses and entrepreneurs handle email? At a small business often one guy is the chief cook and bottle washer. He gets the email for "sales@", "support@" "info@", and "billing@". If would be very convenient to get them all in one inbox

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So how do other small businesses and entrepreneurs handle email? At a small business often one guy is the chief cook and bottle washer. He gets the email for "sales@", "support@" "info@", and "billing@". If would be very convenient to get them all in one inbox
    I host on an Apache/cPanel system with multiple e-mail accounts available. Most of my clients have their e-mail forwarded to their personal accounts (where I recommend a separate identity to use when replying to business, e.g., *@domain, e-mail). I also provide an e-mail account ON THE SERVER (personal webmail account) which they must configure to provide their return address and can be used as the forward to account referenced above (one client has several of these, too).

Personally, I have a ton of e-mail addresses which all redirect to a couple of accounts so I actually LOOK at the incoming "TO" address and change the identity or "REPLY TO" which is attached to my outgoing responses.

{Long thread for such an easy question.}

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dklynn View Post
    Personally, I have a ton of e-mail addresses which all redirect to a couple of accounts so I actually LOOK at the incoming "TO" address and change the identity or "REPLY TO" which is attached to my outgoing responses.

{Long thread for such an easy question.}

Regards,

DK
    Long thread, but the important information was in the first posting ...

"My website is hosted by HostMySite but their webmail offering ("Smartermail") is lame. I don't have the option of installing a different email client "

Among the many ways "Smarter"mail is lame is that I don't have the option of changing the "From" address, and the "Reply-To" can only be set in the account configuration, not at the individual message level. So I like HostMySite, but I already acknowledged that their default webmail offering sucks.

That's why I asked for some alternative (non-ad-based) web email providers that I can link my mailserver settings to for my domain which give more flexibility in that respect.

Any more "easy" solutions?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gmail will do this.
    Erm - according to their Help . . . l

"Gmail doesn't offer traditional aliases, but you can receive messages sent to your.username+any.alias@gmail.com. For example, messages sent to jane.doe+notes@gmail.com are delivered to jane.doe@gmail.com."

So I would end up with email addresses like Peter.Nelson.Sales@peterography.com instead of Sales@peterography.com .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goto settings(top right) > accounts.

Erm - http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...l&answer=22370

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goto settings(top right) > accounts.

Erm - http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...l&answer=22370
    I'm sorry but I don't see how that fixes the problem - that article is just about setting the "From" address - it doesn't talk about creating reasonable aliases in the first place. Also, in item 7 it says "When someone replies to a message you sent using a custom 'From:' address, the reply will be delivered to the 'From:' address rather than your Gmail address. If you'd like replies to be delivered to Gmail or a third account, you'll need to enter a 'reply-to' address."

So I don't see how you'd put all this together to solve the problem. If I want people to be able to send email to "sales@pnart.com" and "billing@pnart.com" and be able to read these out of the same inbox and, when I reply the customer sees "sales@pnart.com" or "billing@pnart.com" depending on what he sent, how would that work?

Meanwhile someone at my hosting company thinks that if I set up separate email accounts I can "Add Email Account" in Outlook for each one and somehow make them appear all in the same inbox, and also be able to set the From:/Reply-To: addresses when I reply. I thought if I did that and used IMAP instead of POP3 I could put a separate copy of Outlook on every device I own and it would be almost as good as webmail.

I tried this in Outlook 2003 but I couldn't get it to work - each account got its own inbox. Am I doing something wrong or does it only work in Outlook 2007?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is I have all my email accounts added to one gmail account. I get all emails in this inbox, (if they are other gmail accounts they also goto the original as well) when I reply to an email it is sent from the same address the original was emailed to, so if I get an email sent to: ben [at] benpartch [dot] org it goes to my gmail account, when I reply it uses: ben [at] benpartch.org as the reply, even though it was actually delivered to my gmail account. Yes I did have to add a 'reply-to' address, it was not too hard. I even set up filters to add labels telling me which account the email came from.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is I have all my email accounts added to one gmail account. I get all emails in this inbox, (if they are other gmail accounts they also goto the original as well) when I reply to an email it is sent from the same address the original was emailed to, so if I get an email sent to: ben [at] benpartch [dot] org it goes to my gmail account, when I reply it uses: ben [at] benpartch.org as the reply, even though it was actually delivered to my gmail account. Yes I did have to add a 'reply-to' address, it was not too hard. I even set up filters to add labels telling me which account the email came from.
    Based on the gmail documentation I don't see how that would work - I see how you're setting the "Reply To", but how do you avoid the "From" address from reflecting your gmail account? And if you DO manage to change the "From" then this would trigger many people's spam filters because it would look like spoofing.

Also, WRT . . . if they are other gmail accounts they also goto the original as well . . . Wouldn't this mean you have to delete the message in 2 different places?

Meanwhile, in my last post I said "someone at my hosting company thinks that if I set up separate email accounts I can "Add Email Account" in Outlook for each one and somehow make them appear all in the same inbox" . But that would only be true for POP3, not for IMAP. Multiple IMAP accounts cannot share a common inbox.

On the other hand, at least in Outlook, I can see all my inboxes in one place, with little counts of their unread messages. And I can open and read them without having to log into each one in turn like I do with my webmail. And IMAP keeps everything synchronized across devices so, while it's not exactly web mail, I can at least access my mail on different PC's and other devices from anywhere, so that's probably an acceptable work-around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't this mean you have to delete the message in 2 different places?
    Nope, Gmail gives me so much space I don't have to worry about that, though sometimes when I am bored, I do clean them out.

In fact, you can set each account to automatically delete/archive emails, You can create filters to set specific labels based on various criteria.

I just noticed that you can set up Gmail to download email from 5 other accounts using POP3
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...l&answer=21288

I am no Gmail evangelist, it works for me so I use it, feel free to use whatever suits you best.

Sorry I have not been more helpful.