SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Advice needed to get hold of a domain

    I have got my eye on a domain owned by someone else which is due to be renewed very soon. What's the best approach to getting ownership? I don't know a lot about buying domains from existing owners and the best way to do it....
    1. Should I wait until the renewal date passes and hope that they just don't renew it?
    2. But if that happens then I assume some domain monitoring service will get to it first?
    3. Or is it a good idea to try and make an offer to the owner before the renewal date? Of if they renew do I stand a better chance by making an offer after renewal?

    Would be great to hear your thoughts!

  2. #2
    SitePoint Wizard SiberForum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes. That is recommended
    2. Be on duty and wait for the domain name you are interested in
    3. Depends on the domain name

  3. #3
    Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    14,680
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Met,

    First, WELCOME to SitePoint!

    Secone, I have a tendency to wait until the last week to renew my domains so don't get your hopes up.

    Third, if you wait until it expires AND goes through the redemption period, it will likely be picked up by a registry service on specilation OR someone could get it by paying a service to get it for them as soon as it becomes available.

    Rule of thumb ... he who hesitates is lost.

    That translates to making the current owner a reasonable offer before expiration. If refused because he/she wants to keep it, it takes the pressure off you because you'll KNOW that it won't be available for a LONG time! If counter-offered, decide on a mutually acceptable price (BEFORE expiration) and use a reputable escrow company to assist in the transfer.

    Regards,

    DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

  4. #4
    Non-Member MyDomAinZ.us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fort Bregg, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    798
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metzed View Post
    do I stand a better chance by making an offer after renewal?
    Yes, this is the best option.
    Good luck.

  5. #5
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would make an offer now. You can always back order but if it is a good domain, there is probably a line ahead of you.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •