SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry hackers cancelled my two web domains!

I have had two domains cancelled by a hacker---satanicorpse dot com and demonica records dot com

I am the creator of a music project called Satanic Corpse and my record label is Demonica Records.

The sites are in a redemption period--none of my account information is valid at my registrar--DWHS Web Hosting's EZ Domain.both names were in good standing and the email from the registrar said they cancelled them at "my request" sure...identity theft.

What can I do to correct this? I put much work into building and maintaining these websites.
    any ideas..thanks!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only place you can get help is your registrar, so give them a phone call. They'll probably want to verify some identity information and get the story on what happened, so I wouldn't recommend e-mail. They should be able to recover the domains for you, they can get them back during the redemption period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with DAN, your web hosting service is the only one who can help you with that.
    I'm sure they've encountered the same problem as yours, so they'll know what to do.
    Just prepare all your important private info, so that you'll have evidence. and Yes call them, do not e-mail. It would be much easier that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have locked your domains and used privacy protection.
    If the domains are under redemption period, it is quite difficult to modify contact info. We guess this is a job of your own registrar. if you for these domains now he may charge you huge amount to give you back the domains. Anyway, try to convince him if he is convinced at all.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the WHOIS creation & expiry dates I suspect that the OP forgot to renew the domains, the hosting company didn't get the message to do it on his behalf, or the renewal reminder emails went to an email account that the OP was unable to check. AFAIK it's not possible to delete an old name - you can only let it expire.

ezdomainname.com is a GoDaddy reseller so all support is through GoDaddy. If you want to renew them now it may cost hundreds of dollars. Contact your host or the GoDaddy support number at ezdomainname.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey don't wait, act fast.
    Give your registrar a call and explain them about the fact.

Tell them to verify the IP change and try to get your domain back before they come back in market for registrations.

Good Luck
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camino View Post
    AFAIK it's not possible to delete an old name - you can only let it expire.
    It actually is possible. In my ex-registrar life, we deleted domain names before
    they expire upon request of the registrant.

I noticed many of those requesting it is to not transfer it to someone else. Of
    course, we remind them there's no turning back once we proceed, and we will
    charge them the usual costs to redeem it if they "change their mind" for any
    reason.

OTOH, the domain names in question (one of which is misspelled) aren't really
    in redemption period as their status is "ok" currently. Go Daddy can easily get
    them back for the OP, though I wonder if they'll "waive" their costs for doing
    so.

Good luck to the OP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
    Hey don't wait, act fast.
    Give your registrar a call and explain them about the fact.

Tell them to verify the IP change and try to get your domain back before they come back in market for registrations.

Good Luck
    If he allowed them to expire I'm afraid domain name registrar won't be able to help them in this situation.
    If domain name expired and then someone else registered them. So that is nothing to fight about