SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help a newbie with some functionality I need to add

I am working on a project that requires some functionality that I am not quite sure how to implement. The basic structure is very simple. Its going to be a wordpress blog, people can leave comments, rate them and have the option to "subscribe" to the comments so every time someone replies they get an email.

I have no idea how to implement this. Maybe there's a wordpress plugin, maybe its simple AJAX or PHP technology.

Here it is broken down (what I have to do):
    - like I said ALL this site is made of is comments (go to w w w.fmylife.c o m for an example of what I am doing), I am going to put a link that says "Comment" at the bottom of each story/comment and when people click it I want a big text box to drop down without having to refresh the page (AJAX functionality I guess) and also the submit button (I don't want the submit button to appear until the text box drops down)...next to the submit button will be a check box asking if the user wants to subscribe to this comment which, by default, will be checked. And just like Facebook, whenever they get a response to their comment it sends them an email with a link to the comment and shows the actual reply in the email.

- I also want to implement a rating system for the comments, I am hoping there's an easy WP plugin for this, I need to change the icon from stars to a martini as well

-I want people to be able to register on this site as well, and not be able to comment without registering...but all they need to register is a username, password, email, and CAPTCHA.

- Last, but def not least, I need a box on the right sidebar that people can enter in their own comment/story and it follows them down the page. If there is a way to do this by locking the box up in the top right so it doesn't appear as its racing down the page as people scroll that would be incredible.

If anyone can help me with any of this by guiding me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I am a seasoned web designer, by on the development side it takes me forever because I always have to figure everything out. Deadline is tomorrow morning :/

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums.

You really should try NOT to get yourself into these situations. You have a deadline in the morning and you've left it to last minute to do something you haven't even planned yet? That's something you should try and plan out earlier in development

But, as for your problem. Luckily for you WordPress has a massive user-base, so there is a good chance such plugins exist - no promises, however.

I'll get this moved to the 'Content Management Systems' forum where you're going to get much more help than you would on the PHP Development forum, which is used for discussing the PHP Programming language and concepts, rather than PHP systems.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have no experience doing this sort of thing and have a deadline <24 hours away... did you wait until the last minute or did you think you could get it done?

Either way, unless what you want is 90% available and you just have to tweak it there is no way you will get it done by the morning.

This should point you in the right direction: wordpress.org/extend/plugins

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know guy I thought it was easier then it was. Lesson learned. I know, please just help me out. I downloaded the IntenseDebate plugin and another WP-ratings plugin but I have to edit the PHP files to be able to have them integrate with the theme I want (it's called MiniBlog) and I can't figure it out. the URL is w w w.im still drunk .c o m (no spaces). Why is it so hard ot integrate plugins and themes w/wordpress?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a plugin, IntenseDebate that does most of what I need, unfortunately it itegrates its own site (inensedebate.com) with mine way to much. Definetly not going to work, how can I get the same/similar functionality on my site (w w w.imstilldrunk. c o m) without all the advertisement?