SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy What Linux based programming careers are there?

Hi all,

I'm kind of getting tired of PHP development, because of its simplicity. I want to step out of it and do more challenging system level programming, or atleast some system level work to increase my knowledge of Linux.

I'm a novice at Linux, and know some of the terms and how to get around. I can read and self study on my own to improve my knowledge. I've been using Ubuntu full time for 2 years and other distros on and off before.

I'll be migrating to Australia in a short while, and i want to know what sort of jobs are there in the Linux realm. I've heard the demand for "Linux" if high, but what exactly in Linux?

And, in general, how can i make a career out of programming in Linux? Are the job prospects good for a beginner?

Thanks!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well the problem with linux programming is the vast majority of software for the open source platform is free so making a living out of coding for it really does not in my eyes seem realistic. However if you want to go to a more challenging level of programming you could start producing rich internet applications (RIA's) for the web using languages like python. It has added complexity and a much more application orientated methodology.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the problem with linux programming is the vast majority of software for the open source platform is free so making a living out of coding for it really does not in my eyes seem realistic.
    No. There's a lot of Linux jobs out there. Most (say 60%+) are for Linux admin jobs. That includes stuff like managing Apache ,SMB, NFS etc., and scripting using bash (i know) perl, python (i dont know both) and some cross OS work.

There are also C programming jobs, but they seem to be for embedded devices. I don't really know C very well, but i'd love to explore it further on Linux. What else is there?

start producing rich internet applications (RIA's) for the web using languages like python.
    Yes. My colleague (next table) does Flex and he's having fun. Meanwhile i'm the goto guy for JS and IE6 problems. Not something i'm proud of, or enjoy Flex is not really that challenging and pretty much like Java (Swing), which i've done before. Dont get me wrong, i think its great and from what i can see next table it can be very addictive!

Python sounds nice, and i've been hearing some big guys (ex: Steve Yegge) give it a thumbs up. But really, another interpreted language. Not what i'm in the mood for.

Maybe i should do Objective C and iPhone Apps. They're all the rage these days. Comments?!