SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's your favorite development mistake?

Among the many I employ from time-to-time, my most common is:
    Changing code then testing before saving my changes and wondering why my changes do not work.
    -Brad

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setting correct paths. I'm a pretty fast and blind typer, so I often have to check again why on earth something isn't working or showing up properly, then go back to some configuration only to find that I mistakenly added a wrong letter or forgot one. It happens in almost every project. Aren't I smart.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modifing a backup file by mistake and wondering why the application still uses the old data.. *looks around with silly eyes*

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My favorite mistake is wishful thinking... people who think "if only there was a float: middle;" and try to use it but end up with code which (unsuprisingly) does not work.

Though the one thing which really annoys me about developer mistakes are people who recieve errors but rather than read the error message just call for support and act like the message was written in klingon

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making some changes for debug/testing purposes and forgetting to change them back before launching to the production server.

I've done that twice when trouble-shooting our e-payment application. I had to change the callback URL which the bank calls after validating secure cards, so that I could debug the code. Then I forgot to remove that and uncomment the original callback URL before deployment. Until the angry calls from irate customers started coming in...
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Making some changes for debug/testing purposes and forgetting to change them back before launching to the production server.
    I would like to add to this Tommy... making some changes but forgetting to upload them and wondering why nothing happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    centre instead of center. Gets me every time. Making changes and then forgetting to save them or upload them is about the norm for me as well.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaforums.net View Post
    Modifing a backup file by mistake and wondering why the application still uses the old data.. *looks around with silly eyes*
    My favorite as well!
    Hanan Moiseyev
    Online games and Videos - http://www.playwithroger.com
    Share your art - http://www.iscrawl.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post

I've done that twice when trouble-shooting our e-payment application. I had to change the callback URL which the bank calls after validating secure cards, so that I could debug the code. Then I forgot to remove that and uncomment the original callback URL before deployment. Until the angry calls from irate customers started coming in...
    The opposite problem is when you think you are running in the test sandbox but it actually charges your credit card - of course this doesn't piss off any customers and you still get the money back, but can still create problems (ie exceeding credit limit problems).

Writing unit tests can help ensure you don't repeat the mistake later, but there it's still very possible to do this at least once...
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    making some changes but forgetting to upload them and wondering why nothing happens
    An extremely common mistake I see is when you have a production and a test server - you upload some changes to the wrong one, and wonder why nothing happens when you look on the test server. In the meantime, you have accidentally broken something on the production server and don't realise it. You can have the best testing procedure in the world but if you upload something to the wrong server it can be a mess-up. Easy to revert if you have source control though - but only once you realise your mistake. Moral of this story is to make it harder for you to upload to the live server than test server or keep testing code separate to production code.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff