SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Help me choose solution between Apple Mac's possibilities (imac, macbook, macpro)

Hi guys

I do run on my Mac all day all year. I use it to work (design, web, photo) and for personal use to. It's a laptop so it is easy to combine both. I use it 85% work, 15% personal at home. I just pop into my head lately that I should get a second one just in case it dies one day....
    I would also appreciate having 2 computers at home/office.

I presently run : PowerBook G4 1.5 ghz (2000$) + Dell 22" widescreen (350$) + 400gig exernal drive (250$)

I am looking to a solution to either

option 1 : Get a new mac (1800-3000$), keep the old one close.

option 2 : Get a PC (500$), keep the old one close, but will still need to be changed one day or another. (I like less the option #2 tough, but it is way cheaper)

...and as option 1, this is where i get confused... I can't decide if I would got for a macbook 13" - macbook15", or a imac 20" - imac 24" (and sell my widescreen), or go big with a huge macpro ??
    I kind of appreciate the combo of having a laptop and close it to plug a big screen, it helps sometimes... but maybe the imac is the best bang for the buck ?
    My Powerbook is bean running super great since the begining and it is gonna be 3 years soon so in one way I say why go for the huge macpro then. They we got the other ones to choose from, and why ?
    Thanks for commenting !

SitePoint Member kid_programmer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it sound to me like you don't even need another computer.

What exactly is the reason for a new computer anyways? Just in case the one you have now dies?

Perhaps you should just get a portable hard drive, or flash drive as a backup tool for important files. Then if something happens to your computer, you have your important information and can get another computer then.

Hope this helps

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do heavy-duty design work, work with programmes such as Aperture on a professional level, then I think a Macbook can be ruled out.

Out of the other options, a PC may be a good choice if you want to save money as the Macbook Pros as well as the Mac Pro (at least the 2009 models) are heavily overpriced in my opinion.

The Mac Pro is of course fantastic. I work on a Mac Pro but have to say that I'd not opt for the newer models if that question ever arose because the new pricing schemes are insane, at best. You can get a PC equivalent with the same horsepower for less. If you don't do heavy-duty animation/photography/video editing, then the Mac Pro is overkill anyway.

I think a PC, Macbook Pro (I'd get a refurbished or a previous model) or iMac might be a good choice, depending on what you do and how much power you really need.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I upgraded from M$ to a Mac, I bought one of the first MacBook Pros, with a 17" screen. It's a fabulous machine, but if I could do it over, I'd probably get one with a smaller screen (more portable) and get a larger monitor for home use.

I do a lot of work with Adobe Creative Suite and have lots of other programs open at the same time. Sometimes, things slow down a bit, so a desktop with more memory might be nice. However, I'm really sold on laptops and waiting for technology to make them as powerful as today's desktops.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again

My choice is down to two : MacBook 13" white, and the MacMini.

To finalise my choice, I need to find wich one is the best with power/graphics (aka Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator... I'm not a gamer.)

Do you know ? Or do you a a link ?
    thanks.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if it is all for work, go for a Pro with a lot of memory. You might need to have a lot of applications open simultaneously and you will regret going with a weaker one.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Jervin69. Yes, a big tower with super-power could be nice, without the price tag tough, lol. I've been running on my Powerbook for 2 years and it's been way ok (with extra RAM and external drive added). So my choice is down to those two machines now (Macbook 13" and Mac Mini)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revv86 View Post
    Hi again

My choice is down to two : MacBook 13" white, and the MacMini.

To finalise my choice, I need to find wich one is the best with power/graphics (aka Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator... I'm not a gamer.)

Do you know ? Or do you a a link ?
    thanks.
    The current Macbook and Mac Mini have the same graphics capabilities (assuming you have 2gb of RAM or more in each system). Your only real choice here is if the laptop screen and portability are worth an extra $400 to you, and you're the only one who can reliably answer that.

* The mini also has firewire 800 vs the white Macbook's firewire 400 if that matters at all to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since you already have a mac I believe that your next computer should also be a mac, even though i hate them, because they need to be compatible with each other and transferring files from a mac to a PC or vice-versa is a lot harder of a process than it should be. I do how ever believe that you can get a decent mac for cheaper, you should by a mac with a low amount of ram and a decent CPU then buy aftermarket RAM for your mac. Its a lot cheaper.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks
    let's go with another related question then... I am curious.

Wich one is better choice (aka : will work better with general stuff like web, photoshop, illustrator, etc) ?
    A computer with cpu 2ghz + 4gig RAM
    or the one with cpu 2.4ghz + 2gig RAM

? :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks

Wich one is better choice (aka : will work better with general stuff like web, photoshop, illustrator, etc) ?

Personally I'd rather have more memory, but memory is a lot easier and cheaper to upgrade after the initial purchase than a processor.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks

I'd definitely go with the 2.4ghz option because the CPU is slightly more powerful. You can always upgrade your RAM via third-party vendors. It's cheaper anyway than buying RAM from Apple.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for this help guys
    i made a choice this week : the brand new apple macbook pro 13' aluminum 2.26 gzh 4g ram 250 gig :-)
    Seem to be the best buy for me