SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

406 Error in Wordpress blog posts

Some of my blog posts are not working and giving an 406 error. Main page works and Even these post which have problem are visible there.

I saw in Google that this problem is related to Apache mod and this is kind of an bit common problem. But for far none of those solutions I have seen worked. Maybe its just that those don't work for version 2.7.1 ..

Anyone encountered this problem or know what can be doen ?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have mod_security installed on this server? A mod_security rule blocking the request is the only time I've seen that HTTP status code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't know mod_security is on or not in Apache But I think the same. Is there a way find this out ?
    Also if it is the reason what can we do ? I'm not sure hosting provider would agree to turn it off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluearrow View Post
    I really don't know mod_security is on or not in Apache But I think the same. Is there a way find this out ?
    Also if it is the reason what can we do ? I'm not sure hosting provider would agree to turn it off.
    The best way to solve this problem is to submit a ticket in your hosting account.

I had some problem on my blog with apache too, i just let it know about it to my hosting company and they fixed the error in few minutes

try your luck.
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Enthusiast SuperNovaArcade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this in your htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </IfModule>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you told your hosting company about this? Sometimes the problem may be with their server. In that case you won't be in a position to solve the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ SuperNovaArcade : I tried that but its not working ...

@ naijaecash : I was told that they can't turn off mod_security but they are trying to find other ways to sort out but the problem is I'm running out of time. Some posts are not working and I don't want to make new posts with this problem.

Moving away from the host is the last option but its always a messy thing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I think you have mod_security installed at your server. I guess that is the only case in which you get this error.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buildstrong View Post
    I think you have mod_security installed at your server. I guess that is the only case in which you get this error.
    yes I also think that this Error occurs due to mod_security install at server.. But any ways its good to contact hosting providers & discuss about that problem..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a crappy support ! support was taking ages to reply and They didnt want to change anything in mod security thing. I moved my Blog to my Godaddy account where it has started working fine. Never keep good sites in crappy hosts.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluearrow View Post
    Well a crappy support ! support was taking ages to reply and They didnt want to change anything in mod security thing. I moved my Blog to my Godaddy account where it has started working fine. Never keep good sites in crappy hosts.
    You just moved it to one of the most restrictive web hosts out there. Never host sites with registrars, hosting isn't their primary business, they treat it as a commodity rather than a service... and eventually that comes back to bite YOU.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Dan I haven't has much options.

What kind of restrictions Godaddy Hosting has for wordpress blogs ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I use discuzz forum script in LP host also have this problem.
    You can take it follow me:
    1.check other website ,is it normal when you script was down?
    2.check the URL Rewrite confige.
    3.download wordpress .htaccess files and then upload to your wordpress root folder and wp-admin folder.
    4.try again.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    You just moved it to one of the most restrictive web hosts out there. Never host sites with registrars, hosting isn't their primary business, they treat it as a commodity rather than a service... and eventually that comes back to bite YOU.
    That isn't entirely true. I host with 1 and 1 Internet and they register my domains as part of my hosting account. I have been with them for several years now with absolutely no problems.

I also have a client who hosts with GoDaddy. Although they do somethings whacked, overall the account works fine. The one time I had to call support for them, they were very prompt, courteous, and helpful. Their WordPress upload is kickass (and I hope that's not offensive, but I couldn't think of a better word to describe it!)
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 and 1 is the polar opposite, though. They're not a registrar selling hosting on the side. They're the world's largest web host, with over 7 million customers, that sells domains on the side.