User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

putting it all together

hi all,

i am a noob to website design and, in turn, have a bunch of noob questions lol. i bought a template (css / html) and modified it in photoshop to make it unique. i made some decent looking buttons in fireworks those are ready to go. i got some php scripts and those are ready to go. how do i put it all together? do i use dreamweaver or fireworks?

the template is not sizing properly. when i look at it as a preview in dreamweaver it just take up a corner of the screen. is that normal or do i need to get a script that recognizes screen sizes and automatically adjusts? i think i saw an ajax one but im not sure

i want to keep everything clean so i dont have to go back and rearrange the whole site later, but its not easy. i realize that my expertise is so limited that i am probably not even asking the right questions but i need to get a starting point and i figured it cant hurt to ask. thanks for the help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and learn some basic css. This will help you do the positioning on your pages and also means that most display mark-up (fonts, sizes, margins etc, etc) are stored in one place, making it far easier to make site-wide changes at a later date.

The w3schools site is an excellent place to start.

monkey
    monkey - the rest is history

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i have been reading and watching tuts for weeks now. seems that every time i think i understand, a new version of skinning the cat crops up. it gets pretty confusing sometimes. damn i hate being a noob at something ;-)

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What happens to you happens to all of us. We need to adapt to different screen resolutions and different window sizes and it is not an easy thing to do.

Depending on which DW version you are using, the program may be lying to you. The last version DW uses webkit engine (which is the same engine that Safari uses) but previous versions had their own built-in engine (as if it was some kind of unknown browser) and therefore there were differences between what DW displayed and what any browser would display.

You should test in browsers (look at the "s" at the end, browsers, no just one browser) to see how each of them will render the page (IE uses their own engine called Trident, Netscape and everything that starts with Mozilla, including Firefox, uses Mozilla engine, Opera uses its own rendering engine)

To sort out your problem you could use a Javascript script (AJAX is just asynchronous Javascript and it is used when you want to re-load part of the page with new content) or you can use a elastic layout, that streches when necessary.

The first, you can look for scripts on Google. There are thousands of them. The second is done by using percetages and ems as measure units instead of px.