SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transferring hosting plus new site...

Hi there,

Sorry if this is a laughably simple question but here goes:

I have agreed to update website A (with url A) on host A. Both are rubbish.

I would like to build the new site with host B for various reasons (essentially I want / need more than one 50Mb database).

If I build the new site B on host B under a temporary URL, I'll then need to transfer the domain from host A to host B. So my questions are:

How easy is it to transfer url A to host B and to point to site B? What will happen to the approx. 70 email addresses on host A? Will I have to manually recreate them at host B and any emails stored on the server will be lost?

Thanks so much in advance,

p.s. I don't mind if site A is lost forever and I need to manually migrate the content...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically it will depend on the following conditions

1. Host A and Host B have same control panels like Cpanel.

2. The mysql versions on both the servers are the same.

If the above is valid, then the transfer is just simple, your Host B would be able to do the migration of the contents, the databases and the emails , hassle free.
    ------------
    hzSari | HostingZoom.com
    ModVPS.com | ResellerZoom.com
    Power Speed Reliability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you have cpanel on both side, you can take a backup and restore it on other host.

I haven't tried it by my own, but it may work (not sure)
    Good Luck
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments but I don't want to transfer any of the old site - I am writing a new one.

All I want is the URL of the old site to point to the new site, which will be hosted elsewhere. Presumably to do this, I need to transfer the domain to the new host? Once I do that, is it really easy to just use the domain for the new site? I can then just cancel the account at the old host and let the old site be deleted.

Again, sorry if it's a simple question. Although I can do very basic code, I know nothing about hosting!

Mike

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I want is the URL of the old site to point to the new site, which will be hosted elsewhere.
    Is this URL you're talking about your own domain name? Then you'd just need to change the domain's nameservers (host B would have to give you the right nameservers to use).

If we're talking about a free hosting account, where your url is in the yoursubdomain.yourhost.com form, you'll have to setup a redirect (preferably a 301 redirect) to the new site location: http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php. If you can't setup a 301 redirect, you'll have to use a meta redirect: http://www.instant-web-site-tools.co...-redirect.html
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums