User Tag List

Thread: WP question

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WP question

is there a simple dummy guide to make my existing site into wordpress.
    I have a new wordpress theme design so I just want to put the images and content into the new design (wordpress) which and make it magazine style blog.

any good sources? I went to wordpress dot org but found it not simple enough.
    For example, I have a .index.html home page what do I do with that when wp uses .php files.

how do I get back my extensions?
    Do I need to buy that dummies book?
    where do I put my images?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should look through the files of some other themes to get an idea of how it works. You basically split up the HTML of your design into a header, a footer, a body, and a sidebar portion. The HTML for the header part goes into header.php, the footer part into footer.php, and the sidebar into sidebar.php. The body goes into many files like index.php, archive.php, category.php, etc. which are templates for those types of pages in the WordPress blog. You can modify bits like the headings in each version to match their purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure it is not that easy if you already got a big site. Maybe if you want to get this done perfectly, you should at least hire someone who knows how to do this kind of stuff. I haven't tried editing this kind of thing actually, but I guess you can try. Wordpress isn't that complicated IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Dan said above is true for a stereotypical WordPress theme, however many do not use this process at all.

The only required theme files are index.php and style.css.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be good to hire a programmer to do the job, as it may be hard job if you are not aware of wordpress themes.

However i once tried looking on the codes of wordpress themes, and found they were quite easy and understandable. You can try reading source, it may help you out in many ways. There are also many tutorials online on coding a wordpress theme. Good Luck.
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand how to upload one from scratch like how to use the footer., header and sidebar php files, how to create a sitemap etc. that is all easy.

What I don't understand is for a site that is already established, has pages indexed, and ranks well.

" For example, I have the following: .index.html home page, about us, privacy, contact, and 40 other interior pages what do I do with that when wp only describes the index.php files.

It will NOT be a wp blog with 1 main page and archived pages in each monthly folder. It will have various sections.

So, since index.php is my home page (which needs to have its extension changed), what wp page is used for section A, section b, section c,,and section C1, etc.

how do I get back my extensions?

OR am I going about this wrong.?
    Should I just get a nice looking WP theme and have someone convert it to a xhtml/css template and use it that way?
    WP does also appear to have, on the premium themes I've seen, too many css files and javascript. Is it always this code heavy when it is an advanced theme?

I would be in heaven with a hybrid news theme in only xhtml/css file.

Do you consider a wp theme better than a mirror xhtml/css theme?
    if so why?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are a plenty of themes available eon net.

use anyone, and then edit them

it's very easy to do, and there are plenty of guides on internet which teach youto do that.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't found plenty of guides which is why I am here asking.
    I've done many queries going onto 3rd and 5th pages of SERPS and there is nothing detailed enough for what I've asked here above. "make existing site to wordpress, edit website to wordpress, etc" But they all leave out what to do with your existing webpages, extensions, if the wordpress will still resemble a website and not look like these simple blogs that only have posts.
    And I never asked about if it is easy, hard to do, or themes.
    A forum is where you ask questions & hopefully get a specific answer or a resource to go instead of being vague.
    "What is easy to one who knows is not always easy to a novice".
    If is truly that easy, then a 5 minute paragraph shouldn't be that difficult,right?

Maybe the question should be :
    What are the steps you do to make your current all html site to wordpress & explain the interior pages. leave out the header, footer, sidebar php, css coding stuff , yes that is easy because I already knew that part.

Thanks

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

The first step would be to add your layouts HTML to the various files that make up a theme, like Dan mentioned above. Then you would add your .css to a file called style.css which also goes in the theme folder.

If you are not using WP currently, then you will have to take the content from all your static .html files and add it into WP via the admin area on a page by page basis.

WP allows for the creation of "pages" these can be anything you want, home, about, contact and so on...

http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't the changes from .html to .php have effect on the pagerank already acquired by the website? I'm just curious.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naijaecash View Post
    Won't the changes from .html to .php have effect on the pagerank already acquired by the website? I'm just curious.
    Yes, they will. If you want to preserve your search rankings, you need to set up an HTTP/301 Permanent Redirect from all the old URLs to all the new ones.

That, or make the permalinks of your new blog match the old URLs exactly. With a plugin like Advanced Permalinks, you should be able to add .html to the URLs even though they're really running through WordPress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dan Grossman
    Thanks for the information. I thought it was impossible. I guess I will try it on a website and see the effect. I love WordPress, it is a cheap way out for a non-tech webmaster.