SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flash vs Jpg Pro and Con?

I'm about to work on a website for a friend for displaying some of his artwork. Because he's concerned about theft, he wants to use flash for the site so that people can't easily save out the images and proliferate them illegally around the net quite as easily (it's still not that hard, though). I've always been a proponent of just straight up using jpgs... as it's both easier, and I'm a bit of an opensource/creative commons fanboy.

Just wanting to get some opinions from you guys on the issue, both from a coding and moralistic point of view.. And if you can outline some good reasons or point to some articles about it, I could probably change his mind if I had some qualified opinions.

Thanks in advance

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is simple... not everyone has flash installed, flash images can be stolen with a simple press of the print screen key. Trying to prevent piracy within websites is impossible, tell your friend that if he wants his stuff on the web, then it is going to be available to anyone no matter what he wants, it is the price you pay for making things public.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with what Alex just said

There is no 100% method to keep things safe on the web. There are methods that will help a bit, but in exchange, they do difficult for accessibility (like Flash does) or even for a regular user.

Flash has other disadvantage: it doesn't play directly on a Linux system. If you have Linux, when you open your browser and there's Flash on the page, you just see a dark grey rectangle with a play button. It is the user who decides if (s)he wants to play the Flash part o no. And it looks horrible.

Flash has the advantage of using great animation techniques.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a simple solution is to slap some text with low opacity over the top of your jpg in photoshop, something like 'sample'.

It's also worth remembering that web images are much lower qualty that those used in print, so their fears may be reduced depending on for what purpose potential thiefs would steal the image.
    monkey - the rest is history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is always better to watermark images, people hate stealing watermarked images.

Moreover you also achieve the goal of sharing your artwork without getting stoled
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
    I think it is always better to watermark images, people hate stealing watermarked images.

Moreover you also achieve the goal of sharing your artwork without getting stoled
    'watermark' - that's the word I was looking for
    monkey - the rest is history