SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is there a SP desktop client?

I remember reading about desktop s/w for updating blogs.

Did any bright spark write a windows desktop client for making replies to postings on this forum?

Or an AIR app, or a FF plug-in or something?

I've been twittering for a few weeks now and think I can start to reign in online compulsions - so may as well throw SP into the mix by making it easier to interact.

I can quit anytime.

Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *so tempted to provide a link to IE/FF download page* Surely that's a desktop app no?
    Never heard of anything myself, although it shouldn't be too hard to create one...

Maybe start with a self-hosted web service as an interface?
    @AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About 2 years back I was experimenting with mixing desktop and web applications, as there is alot of potential for that area of development.

Among other things, I made an application which scanned the latest threads from sitepoint; This wasn't a fast process because it was through HTTP requests and read the threads just like we do.

A sitepoint API would be a very, very good idea. I'll get this thread moved to its rightful thread and it may provoke a few thoughts
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's so hard about just visiting the website? :<

I could see the advantage if you could access many forums from the comfort of one program, but that's not a new idea, and the lack of a client right now indicates how successful those attempts have been. >:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well seeing as you ask, I'll give you a brain dump.

This was the desktop blogging tools article - I found that a clever idea.

Now I must admit I absolutely hate blogs, I dislike the whole scene. I know what they are for, and I am happy to follow a few bloggers with rss and all that... opium for the masses and all that jazz. Great. If I had a blog though-I'd likely use one of those blogging tools.

(I installed WP 1.2 for a clients intranet once, what a poc, it had the next PHPNuke scandal written all over it - slow as a dog - I digress.)

But (trying to pull together some threads into some sense here) twitter is harking a total sea change for me.

I recently read this guy Experimental Twitter for Comments and nodded as I realised he was putting into words to me, finally, what it was I did not like about blogs.

Add 'twitter for comments' to 'Oauth for twitter users' and I have something (I am not calling it a blog, maybe a "glob" eh, you heard it here first folks) where I can splurge out some text and have anyone drive-by and fire in 140 chars without having the hassle of storing their email, lost passwords yada yada yada.

If they feel strongly about anything I wrote they can go to their own member and "glob" or blog and spout all they want about what they think of me.

OK, end of "glob" talk.

Now what I both love and detest about twitter is that I can interact without having to keep visiting a "webpage" ( not like SP ... wait for greasemonkey to hide that banner advert (sorry SP ... ), scroll down, new posts, my posts - any replies ... )

What's more I can have the twitter client my way (not tweetdeck, toooooo distracting).

So, in the same vein why can't I just follow this forum (I rarely go anywhere else on SP) from the comfort of my own desktop?

Heres another thing that annoys me, I don't know about others but when I visit SP my FF could be in the middle of a selenium test, has another 10 tabs open, probably links to a view of my database, and has semi-permanent links open to dbpedia, wikipedia, the manual (cause the user notes are better) and tutorials I fully intend finishing.

Why do I need to use FF to come here and check a few questions/comments?

I want a little SP client that suits me. I don't see why I should make it or pay for it, sheesh, I happily give my time freely to try and help others (and learn myself).

Honestly I promise I wont work out how to subvert the client and reply to postings with 140 chars from a twitter client. (Though I have a feeling someone has done that already )

Are my expectations too high, for 2009? Has twitter corrupted me so much?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't see the point, because visiting the forum in some client would be exactly identical as to here. You see a list of topics, click the one that you want to see, and it shows up.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use FeedReader subscribed to SP's latest posts rss feed, it works ok to quickly see new posts. If only there was an option to subscribe to certain sub-forums...

As an SP geek, I would appreciate a desktop app too, it'd make a much faster browsing and posting experience, especially on those occasions when SP is slow.

Quote Originally Posted by sk89q View Post
    I really don't see the point, because visiting the forum in some client would be exactly identical as to here. You see a list of topics, click the one that you want to see, and it shows up.
    You have to really be an addict to see the difference. As one who can't close the SP tab for the last 2 years or so, I very well do.
    Saul

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

@php_daemon RSS feed for only the PHP and PHP Application Design forums:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/exte...147&lastpost=1 Individual posts
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/exte...orumids=34,147 Threads only
    Salathe
    Software Developer and PHP Manual Author.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, all of us who know a desktop programming language, this sounds like a good competition!

I'll get started right away! I've done similar things with C# and Java, so this'll be a great place to try out something proper with some C++!!!
    Jake Arkinstall

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Wow, thanks Salathe, I definitely didn't know that!

Jake, something tells me you'll be the only competitor

It would be fun to remember C# or Java, or even C++ and do something useful, but I'm afraid that's too time consuming.
    Saul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it!

I think it's going to be a bit difficult for now; I only started learning C++ a couple of days ago and I think I need to get my head around the ins and outs of the IDE. The language I'm fine with but the lack of a decent IDE like you'd find with C# and Java, for Ubuntu, is a real pain. Might have to temporarily return to windows for C++ development...
    Jake Arkinstall

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    Ok guys, all of us who know a desktop programming language, this sounds like a good competition!

I'll get started right away! I've done similar things with C# and Java, so this'll be a great place to try out something proper with some C++!!!
    Ahem. PHP is a desktop programming language.

http://gtk.php.net/

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like making one that promps the discovery of new posts with JOptionPane.showMessageDialog()

lol...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by World Wide Weird View Post
    Ahem. PHP is a desktop programming language.

http://gtk.php.net/

Hardly.... It was written for text processing, server-side processing and database connectivity.
    Jake Arkinstall

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whatabout a spec for this thing then?

Here's a stab which is just a wish list:

Basics
    =====
    I can tell it which forum I am watching
    I can tell it how often to refresh
    I can tell it to watch these threads ( array1 )
    I can allow to post a reply directly into these threads in array1

Here are some posts from yesterday, which pretty much typifies my topics/frequency/conversations in say, a day and in making the list I noticed some more specs;

A) Store sql output to the variable
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613814
    5 posts
    13 hours
    2 contributors
    Outcome : Problem seemingly resolved - stop following after, x hours?

B) PHP form problem
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613830
    6 posts
    6 hours
    2 contributors
    Outcome: Problem might be resolved, but its unclear, so I might watch this for say, another 24 hours. I have noticed though, if this conversation took place on, I would need to watch it 'till end of Monday. (time-diffs, work-patterns etc)

C) php update database with ajax
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613809
    15 posts
    5 hours
    4 contributors
    Outcome: Seemingly its resolved because nobody replied, but I churned out some 'advice' which nobody else seems to have challenged, so I am guessing I was right ... but i'd really like to watch this for a few days.

I am not after a 'sitepoint browser', when I am reviewing what people are talking about, I'd just use a webbrowser - as was said previously.

I cannot say how I decide to watch a thread or not, what may be an innocuous subject can turn into lively debate depending on who said what.

I also notice that I have a tendency to follow certain contributors (lets call then gurus as a shorthand thing).

So I might have a shortlist of gurus whose threads I might elect to automatically follow, I want to know when they speak, because it is usually insightful ( r937 and longneck's infrequent trips into the PHP forum for example).

'Nice to have' s which could have great potential to be YAGNIs

pastebucket
    =========
    Where I keep clips, yesterday I got so fed up of writing ini_set( 'display_errors' .... etc I created a text file on my desktop. This is clearly nuts, select paste-text, paste, edit it a bit for this user.

keyword
    ======
    I might like to auto-follow every thread which mentions say, OOP, or class.

Alert to twitter
    ===========
    "A new conversation has started by xxxx which mentions oop on the SP forum. [tinyurl.com]"

"A thread you are following has been responded to by the OP [link]"

"r937 replied to a thread on the SP PHP forum"

Don't build this for me, build it for yourself. This 'spec' is just me recording a few ideas as I am typing ... I really don't have a clue what I want, the OP was just a half-hearted bleat to see if anyone felt the same way as me.

Why do I have to remember keep going back to the SP site just to see if userX found my advice helpful or not?

Maybe SP should have a simple tweet me button next to each thread?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    I use FeedReader subscribed to SP's latest posts rss feed, it works ok to quickly see new posts. If only there was an option to subscribe to certain sub-forums...
    This may not be what you were asking for but...

At http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/forumindex.php?
    Click on a forum / subforum
    Scroll down to where it says "Forum Tools"
    Click on "Subscribe to Forum"

You can then choose:
    * No Email Updates (the forum will show up in your UserCP)
    * Daily updates by email
    * Weekly updates by email (both will send you a list of topics, as if you subscribed to a thread).

Not the instaneous feature you probably wanted but its helpful for sites you like but don't find a need to frequent that often.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, thanks for pointing that out, it just doesn't contain the features I want.

I know I can flag things as 'watch this', but its always a click too far for me, lose my place, pick the option I want ... nah.