Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast icebreaker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Recession worsened by Swine Flu Virus Outbreak

While many countries are being hit by this economic and financial crisis, there came an outbreak of Swine Flu Virus. From Mexico, it is now fast spreading in US, some parts of Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand? What must we do now in order to survive?
    Last edited by akritic; Apr 29, 2009 at 09:16. Reason: removed 'recession' based sig link- (self promo)

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep doing what you're doing and don't give in to the panic.

The big thing about previous pandemics in the developed world was the lack of communication and options. If it gets bad people will be informed and will start to take precautions such as avoiding public places, working at home, washing their hands often, etc...

In the old days people didn't know what was happening until it was too late.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And people really need to look up what "swine flu" is.

Swine flu is a flu... a regular flu.

It might be a really bad regular flu, but it's a regular, runny-nose, sore-throat, call-in-sick-for-work flu.

Incidentally, the regular flu can kill you too... if you don't take care of yourself; but it's certainly not the Bubonic plague!

So as the saying goes... DON'T PANIC !

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ..there's a flu pandemic?............. PANIC STATIONS EVERYBODY!

Jus' kiddin' ya

SitePoint Evangelist webchalkboard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah when I read about it I thought it sounded a little over the top, but then it has killed a lot of people now in Mexico, although why it hasn't anywhere else is a bit of a mystery. I'm sure there has been a big financial impact on the Mexican economy simply because of people having time off work, but fingers crossed it doesn't effect us here... Then again if just has to snow in the UK to cause a national state of emergency!
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People are acting crazy because of the whole thing where people went fruit loops over the potential for bird flu, now they see animals passing around a sniffle and because they have no understanding of what it means they are going to run around like headless chickens acting like the apocalypse is coming. There is nothing us humans like doing more than making a mountain out of a molehill.

From Wikipedia...
    In humans, the symptoms of swine flu are similar to those of influenza and of influenza-like illness in general, namely chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness and general discomfort. The strain responsible for the 2009 swine flu outbreak in most cases causes only mild symptoms and the infected person makes a full recovery without requiring medical attention and without the use of antiviral medicines.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about this:
    Last edited by armchaircritic; Today at 12:16. Reason: removed 'recession' based sig link- (self promo)
    I also have a self promoting link in my signature, as do you, and most users of the forum, why was this users sig link removed was it for self promotion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    I'm curious about this: I also have a self promoting link in my signature, as do you, and most users of the forum, why was this users sig link removed was it for self promotion?
    Probably because he started a thread directly relevant to his sig.

Have you started any threads about yourself lately?

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    Probably because he started a thread directly relevant to his sig.

Have you started any threads about yourself lately?
    Bingo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how conspiracy theorists are saying that this strain of swine was developed purposefully by various pharmaceuticals to get them through the "recession"...

Gordon Brown is happy; people have temporarily stopped fussing about the economy.
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it wouldn't be hard for certain commercial powers to create a highly virulent strain of flue at all, but it doesn't mean they did.

But I have my mind in another place, a place of incompetence and blatant idiocy by many governments, organisations and forces,

1. Why are normal, low grade Medical masks that do not present protection of worthy calculable computation to the wearers, but instead increase the risk factor, and speed of any foreseeable pandemic being introduced at areas classed to be of high risk of infection under recommendation of certain organisations and authorities.

2. Why over the past five years or more with the expected threat of H5N1 and other known and unknown serious mutations and deliberate release of weapons/agents likely to result in a viral pandemic that has the potential to overwhelm both military and public emergency services, topple economic operations, cause mass panic, looting, rioting, general social disorder and create body counts to high to burn at any manageable rate and resulting in a significant portion of the worlds global population being lost have many countries including the UK seemingly managed to at best stock up on basic normal flue anti-viral drugs and have not seen fit to manufacture at production cost or have recommended everyone purchase high grade biological respirators and kits with information on how to properly use them safely and ensure that the greater if not all members of there population can with almost immediate reaction don the masks if any serious life threatening pandemic or biological attack began to develop which would result in both protection from many possible biological terror attacks and serious pandemic outbreaks while insuring that economic operations, social order and business can proceed with little hindrance and that military and public emergency services will be able to operate in a much more normal and familiar fashion with the bodycounts sharply prevented from climing to unmanageable rates, thus resulting in a rapid recovery if not prevention of fatal damage to the global population, social order, countries national security and economies.

Because it's quite obvious to me that so far we have been extremely lucky indeed that this new strain isn't highly resistant hasn't spread through the globe crippling countries, work forces and economies and doesn't seem to be at any risk of causing mass deaths because if it was, there would certainly be widespread panic, looting, deaths, crimes, social and economic collapse with likely a heavily overstretched military operation which I highly doubt would be of any real help.

But that's me,
    I hope that this simply remians a mildly symptomatic flu strain that does not cause any of the likely effects a more serious pandemic would.
    So far I would recommend business as usual, that's my plan, and so far there is no real reason to think that any total ecenomic or deadly pandemic will require otherwise just yet.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adc2008
    Well, it wouldn't be hard for certain commercial powers to create a highly virulent strain of flue at all, but blah blah blah blah...
    Ore for Pete's sake you sound like my ex-girlfriend.

You're thinking too much.

Relax.

I dislike governments just as much as you seem to. They are slow, wasteful, and inefficient. They are corrupt, power-hungry b*stards. They fill our lives with red-tape which fails to stick down what it was meant to.

So for that reason, I'm after a situation where we have as little government as possible.

Pushing for them to take on roles which should be individual responsibilities, will in effect make them bigger. For example, to distribute masks like SARS, they'll have to set up five or six new commissions; they'll have to take up private company's manufacturing time (of worthwhile products) to manufacture masks; they'll have to come up with a way of distribution; they'll have to disrupt people's lives for a month or two. They might have to pass a law forcing everyone to wear the silly mask (because I certainly wouldn't). I over-heard someone on the radio saying they should close global airports for two weeks to "contain this crisis".

All these new boards and commissions won't disappear once the "crisis" is over, no. Neither the red-tape nor the bills and laws. And we the tax-paying people will have to pay to maintain empty offices and big salaries of a brand new bunch of bureaucrats. No, I don't care if they claim otherwise.

So please, for that reason, let's leave the government out of this one.

There is no crisis. A hundred people have died in Mexico. I'm sorry to hear that, but it hardly counts as a plague. It doesn't even count as an epidemic, so all this "pandemic" talk is an exaggeration. One person died in all of Europe too. Everyone else who caught this dreaded disease took some Vitamin C and Immodium and will be back to their-old-selves in two to three days.

So chill out, dude.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Member EmpoweredCreator's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    There is no crisis. A hundred people have died in Mexico. I'm sorry to hear that, but it hardly counts as a plague. It doesn't even count as an epidemic, so all this "pandemic" talk is an exaggeration. One person died in all of Europe too. Everyone else who caught this dreaded disease took some Vitamin C and Immodium and will be back to their-old-selves in two to three days.

So chill out, dude.

I agree, the word epidemic is used to help strike fear into people by the local government (making themselves feel useful) and the media (to get more stories) sadly we are a fear controlled society today and hardly anyone researches what this stuff really means thinking they have the whole story! Such Faulty thinking is why most of society are classified as sheeps!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Defining an epidemic can be subjective, depending in part on what is "expected". An epidemic may be restricted to one locale (an outbreak), more general (an "epidemic") or even global (pandemic). Because it is based on what is "expected" or thought normal, a few cases of a very rare disease like rabies may be classified as an "epidemic," while many cases of a common disease (such as the common cold) would not.
    Calm down people, this is just a little bit more than a common cold and people will be over it soon. People in Mexico are dieing because of the lack of health care! Nothing more. It's a poor economy down there.
    Wanna Be the Best? Learn from the Best!
    Work from Home and Fire Your Boss!
    Make Money from Home Your Way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member EmpoweredCreator's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    That's GREAT! I love that! I was LMAO!
    Wanna Be the Best? Learn from the Best!
    Work from Home and Fire Your Boss!
    Make Money from Home Your Way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My signature was removed by armchaircritic due to self-promo according to him. For all of you to know, my signature is not for self-promo but for PUBLIC-PROMO.

It's for you to judge. I just want fair judgment here. I don't force anybody here to click my signature. But if they click my signature, I'm not the one who will be benefited but the one who clicks it because my site promotes public awareness.
    My intention here is not to help myself but to help other people. Now that you removed my signature, that only means that you care only for yourself and you are not concerned with the other people.

Please be fair in your judgment armchaircritic.
    Get Thousands of Real Visitors | Very Cheap Price!
    Fugazi To Launch Website Soon | For Your Information

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
    My signature was removed by armchaircritic due to self-promo according to him. For all of you to know, my signature is not for self-promo but for PUBLIC-PROMO.
    I always enjoy it when people make up new words...

It's for you to judge.
    We agree on one thing.

My intention here is not to help myself but to help other people. Now that you removed my signature, that only means that you care only for yourself and you are not concerned with the other people.
    Oh my lord, do people always have to get so melodramatic? He didn't remove your sig, you're more than welcome to display your sig in any other thread, but when you start a thread directly related to your sig that looks suspicious at best. When you choose to start a forum rather than posting to one of the million or so forums that you could discuss the topic on and then start a thread related to it then that looks even more suspicious.

Personally, I don't have an issue with your sig being removed from this thread, it shows that armchaircritic cares about the user experience of all SP users by removing another tool that could be used for spamming. Now there will be no incentive for spammers to create threads that promote their sigs, even indirectly. Whether that was your intent or not is irrelevant.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adc2008 View Post
    Well, it wouldn't be hard for certain commercial powers to create a highly virulent strain of flue at all, but it doesn't mean they did.
    I agree. Certain entities can indeed create such things, and there are commercial interests that aren't above launching stupendous stunts in an attempt to make more money. But this swine flu epidemic probably isn't an example of such a stunt.

But I have my mind in another place, a place of incompetence and blatant idiocy by many governments, organisations and forces,
    I vote yours the best post on this thread. Horribly destructive disease epidemics have struck in the past, and only a fool would believe they can never happen again, just as some people still insist there could never be another Great Depression.

It all leaves me to ponder just what the limits of human stupidity are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although some countries are H1N1-virus-free, we cannot neglect the reality that 30 countries are officially reported affected with 5,251 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

It's getting worse, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    I agree. Certain entities can indeed create such things, and there are commercial interests that aren't above launching stupendous stunts in an attempt to make more money. But this swine flu epidemic probably isn't an example of such a stunt.

I vote yours the best post on this thread. Horribly destructive disease epidemics have struck in the past, and only a fool would believe they can never happen again, just as some people still insist there could never be another Great Depression.

It all leaves me to ponder just what the limits of human stupidity are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
    Although some countries are H1N1-virus-free, we cannot neglect the reality that 30 countries are officially reported affected with 5,251 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.
    And the normal flu is reported in hundreds of countries... I'm amazed that this has only been found in 30 countries so far.

Geesh.

And no referral links in sigs btw

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The zombie killer vampire swines will be the end of us all
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    icebreaker, I don't think that yet another forum to add to the millions that exist (they have been abused) promotes public awareness, after all forum's are about discussion in opposition to answering questions. If I were going about your project a blog or resource website would seem much more likely to gain an audience but that’s my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ How the hell have you managed to find the time or inclination to post 1430 posts since February excluding GC? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It must be me.
    Last edited by mobyme; Apr 30, 2009 at 15:32.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    ^ How the hell have you managed to find the time or inclination to post 1430 posts since February excluding GC? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It must be me.
    Happy to answer though its slightly off topic, I am self employed so I can pick my own work hours and I always leave an hour or so each end of the day to catch up on the forum, the reason for this is easy. Firstly it means I am continuingly challenging my knowledge and keeping my skillset up to date, secondly I am networking with other smarty pants like Tommy , thirdly it gets my brain started in the morning with a nice dose of coffee so by answering a few web questions, then move onto whatever is in my to-do list I am able to get into the "frame of mind easier" and finally... I enjoy helping people. Honestly it may seem like a lot but I am willing to put the hours in because I get a lot out of it even if I don’t get paid for doing it *gives hinting look towards admin’s jokingly*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The global economy has already been affected by this swine flu outbreak. There are some countries that ban air and see travels to Mexico as well as pork importation from North America.