SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for experienced opinions on layouts!

Hi wonderful folks,

I am about to embark on a redesign of a client site, and although it is a donated hosting, and my time being put in to this non-profit organization promoting the use of seat belts ( http://www.sitclickdrive.org ) (the kids who are at the core of this won the NY state slogan contest for which they have been using their slogan for over a year prior) soon to be implemented by the state.

My question is this, which is the most desirable type of layout?

I use Dreamweaver to render the initial layout (stylesheet and base page template) and then ultra edit to hand code the rest, not being much of a fan of WYSIWYG editors which make me feel like I am working with handcuffs on and legs tied while being asked to swim, not to mention the arduous task of cleaning up the generated code.

I have tried liquid and elastic layouts on other sites and often run in to cross browser issues with the divs, or more accurately, closing div counts (for some reason they often need one more, or less </div> and will work in one but not the other), and then there is the overflow issues I have run in to for when a browser window or screen resolution is too low it will stack the center container below the left side bar.

Now I know I want a three column, with header and footer for the design I am implementing but want to know if using a FIXED layout, which I am assuming will not have the overflow problems the elastic and liquid ones I have encountered have troubled me with.

So essentially what are the advantages of and best choice of being oth flexible but low issue....Fixed layout, elastic layout or liquid layout?
    And why???

All help is appreciated and THANKS in advance for helping with this decision!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm... anything is better than what they currently have :P

You might want to check what screen resolutions are used by current visitors. Also, they don't seem to have a lot of content so a fixed width layout should be ok, and will give you less problems too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!!!! Taken for what it was meant to say......I agree and this is why I offered to help, and now that they will be getting so much exposure it would be a shame to only have what you see, and believe it or not there is more content than there seems buried in some of those pages, and she has a bunch more to add but didn't have the capacity to do so prior to this, which was another point I made to the parent of one of the kids, and owner of the domain, so thanks for the vote of using a fixed layout for this, as this seemed most likely to allow for an expedient make over and not have to deal with those elastic and liquid issues, however I would like to hear someone's run down on when and why one would choose one from the others if anyone has the input to offer!

Thanks!

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are examples of 3-column liquid CSS layouts online that actually work as intended. Barring that, there's always the trusty 1997-style table layout.

By the way, I read somewhere that full-page liquid layouts are out of vogue (after all the effort that went into perfecting them over the years) and 800-pixel-wide layouts in the center of the page are in again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by World Wide Weird View Post
    there's always the trusty 1997-style table layout.
    I think you mean rusty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joaquin_win View Post
    I think you mean rusty

That too. But hey, it's still 100&#37; guaranteed to be cross-browser compatible.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by World Wide Weird View Post
    By the way, I read somewhere that full-page liquid layouts are out of vogue (after all the effort that went into perfecting them over the years) and 800-pixel-wide layouts in the center of the page are in again.
    we should be smarter than just to follow a particular trend. In my opinion, liquid layouts were badly use because many people didn't understand them well (or should I say that there were aspects of the box model they didn't grasp?)

Regarding the type of layout, you need to check your server's statistics... If you have many different type of screens, then you will have to go for a liquid or semi-liquid layout. If the big majority of the visitors uses 800x600 or 1024x768 then you may want to risk with a fixed layout.

Regarding the excess of content, if it is too much for you, it will be too much for the end user. It means that it needs to be reorganized and re-arranged.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    we should be smarter than just to follow a particular trend.
    Boy, ain't that the truth! If I see another cliched lime green "Web 2.0" site, I'm gonna hurl!