User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Questions on development of a small php powered website

Hello,

I am not particularaly experianced in using PHP, just simple little things like redirecting based upon an input by a user. Anyway I have a question regarding developing a php powered website.

Firstly, my plan is to develop my own personal website, just to act as a portfolio thing. My plan is to have it powered by php and mysql. I am initially thinking that I can have 2 pages the index page and the sub page.

The index page will just be the series of links to sub pages. However these links will all lead to a processing page where the url also feeds a page id to the processing page. e.g. about me == id2, contact me == id3 etc. The the sub page performs an sql query to pull all of the information from a pages table where the page-id == id that was passed to the processing page. I hope this makes sense, I am not particularly good at explaining things.

the pages table will hold all of the information about that pages e.g. page_name, content, date etc. This information will be used to populate the page the user sees e.g. the page title in the header will be pulled from the database etc.

does this sound like a good solution? Or am i trying to make things overly complicated.

Secondly how do I go about storing the web page content within the table including the relevant html tags <p><h1> etc. What should I be searching for, I am having trouble finding things because I do not know the terminology.

thanks in advance

Tuxedup

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it's NOT a good solution.

For a site such as you describe, just use straight html and css. You have no need what so ever in your description to use a database for this site. And while you could use php, it would deliver little or no extra benefit.
    Last edited by Dr John; Apr 28, 2009 at 10:19.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr John View Post
    No, it's NOT a good solution.

For a site such as you describe, just use straight html and css. You have no need what so every in your description to use a database for this site. And while you could use php, it would deliver little or no extra benefit.
    Very well said.