SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting out in cms... advice please

Just after some advice really, I've been designing static webpages for years now, using HTML and CSS etc... standard stuff, but I'm increasingly getting clients asking for CMS support in place of maintenance packages.
    I was just basically after some information on design and build of websites with certain cms's in place (we'll say for example... wordpress)... Would you still design and code your site in the same way and just throw editable areas in? Or is the process completely new once you're adding content management?

I understand wordpress is mainly a blog, would this not affect the design of the site around it? One of my clients IS actually asking for blog funcionality, would this be easy to achieve even though its only part of a wordpress website?

Any thoughts appreciated!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Adover,

it's completely different designing for Wordpress, but not necessary difficult for you if you know CSS. There's two ways of achieving having Wordpress blog as a section of your site. Either code the site in HTML / CSS and install Wordpress on a sub folder of your site, or code the entire site as a Wordpress theme and customise the Wordpress backend so that only one section of the Wordpress site is a 'blog' and the rest are just Wordpress pages (my preference as an approach).

kind regards,

pluggyboy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers for the reply, so judging by the fact that they want to change text on most of the site, is it quite easy to implement a design I've already done? I have got a lot of experience with css and I've already sent off design ideas to them so I don't want to go back and say "actually, I can't do that because you want cms!"

Cheers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do most things in WP that you can do in any other site, it might just take a bit more hacking. Send me a link to the design you've done, and i'll let you know if it's going to be a difficult implementation on WP

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cheers for your help, the attached image is one of the interior pages, most pages will be quite similar to this, 2 column with large images on one side with 3 columns below. The only differing page will be the index page which has 2 images on the front with an overlay containing text.

Also, how do the pages get classified? Is it still possible to have them named index.php, contact.php services.php etc?
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are the three text boxes at the bottom the same throughout the site, or linked to the page you're on?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'll be different for each page, so the home page it will contain links to about us/services and a quick contact form, then other pages will contain testimonials bespoke to each product, and the about pages will link to the products etc...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok then it's possible but trickier. you'll need to create several additional sidebars (but use css to style them to appear below your page content) and then call them conditionally using php.

as a newbie i can't post links here, so search google for "wordpress sidebar content different on different pages" and click on the top link for info. Also, you may find it easier to start with an existing framework such as Thematic. Again, search google for "Wordpress Thematic theme framework".

kr,

pluggyboy

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice one! Cheers for that, I'll start messing around with it now
    One more thing, is it possible to specify file names for each of the files? From my looking about the best you get is page ID's, surely this is bad for SEO?