SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Placing an offer on sitepoint.

I have not posted an offer but if I did and I wanted to include conditions such as "Confirmation of drop shipper’s prices" or "guaranteed income for x amount of time" or whatever, where is this done. I know that it becomes a conditional offer and has less strength in the auction process but I do not see where a person would include these conditions. Also what are some good DD rules for assessing a drop shipper.
    Thank you

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seller can turn that option off. In this case it looks like he's not accepting conditional bids.

I think that's wise as buyers use their "condition" as a pretext for not paying or pulling out at the last minute. Do as much DD as you can before you bid and do the rest during escrow.

There is no 100% DD on dropshippers.

No matter how you assess the drop shipper the seller could be privy to information that the drop shipper has plans to drastically reduce the commission or get rid of some affiliates or raise the qualification requirements for a current level of payout. Or he could just be going bust. Do not buy a site like this unless you have at least one alternative dropshipper already in mind!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Six View Post
    The seller can turn that option off. In this case it looks like he's not accepting conditional bids.

I think that's wise as buyers use their "condition" as a pretext for not paying or pulling out at the last minute. Do as much DD as you can before you bid and do the rest during escrow.

There is no 100% DD on dropshippers.

No matter how you assess the drop shipper the seller could be privy to information that the drop shipper has plans to drastically reduce the commission or get rid of some affiliates or raise the qualification requirements for a current level of payout. Or he could just be going bust. Do not buy a site like this unless you have at least one alternative dropshipper already in mind!
    Good stuff 3six especially about the drop shipper. You mentioned doing the rest during escrow, could you briefly describe what you or anybody out there considers as implied conditions regarding terms of escrow? The length of escrow is one and if there are no implied conditions are the matters worked out using PM's prior to the close because I do not see them on the board. I am just looking to find out how other people that have successfully concluded transactions completed their escrows and how long they they might have given themselves to complete any inspections after being given privy information that comes only after an accepted offer.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the escrow period you get to check the goods. That's when you take over control of the hosting, drill through the logs, view the SPAM control, htaccess, get access to Google Webmaster Tools and other stuff you can't view while the auction is ongoing.

Terms of escrow: Escrow doesn't get involved in due diligence. In fact, escrow gives a false sense of security. See my posts in this thread about escrow. Escrow doesn't act as a sales contract - you have to agree your own terms with the seller and agree wording on the contract including on the length of escrow inspection period. A non-software escrow company like Escrow.com holds funds till the domain shows up in your name. Then they release the money to the seller. That's all they do. That's all you can expect from them. If he has provided no files, no passwords, no information, no help and nothing more than the domain name the funds will still be remitted to him on completion of the inspection period and there's nothing you can do about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitMedley Post View Post
    During the escrow period you get to check the goods. That's when you take over control of the hosting, drill through the logs, view the SPAM control, htaccess, get access to Google Webmaster Tools and other stuff you can't view while the auction is ongoing.

Terms of escrow: Escrow doesn't get involved in due diligence. In fact, escrow gives a false sense of security. See my posts in this thread about escrow. Escrow doesn't act as a sales contract - you have to agree your own terms with the seller and agree wording on the contract including on the length of escrow inspection period. A non-software escrow company like Escrow.com holds funds till the domain shows up in your name. Then they release the money to the seller. That's all they do. That's all you can expect from them. If he has provided no files, no passwords, no information, no help and nothing more than the domain name the funds will still be remitted to him on completion of the inspection period and there's nothing you can do about it.
    what are you looking for when you view the spam controls, and Fruit Medley now I know why you would be worth a $1000 to DD a company.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SPAM control is not the big story, it's just one of the thousands of risk areas. Identifying risk areas in each case is just as tricky as doing the DD on what you identify.

SPAM control may not be an issue for some sites. Others, like forums, may have extensive IP bans, banned words, banned email addresses/domains, proper htaccess and robots.txt blocks.... and still end up spending whole days in every month just dealing with SPAM - from SPAM posts to email to blog comments and exploiting form vulnerabilities. Other sites that rely on email to generate their money (ads in newsletters etc) may have a different problem with SPAM - getting themselves off of SPAM lists and getting their email delivered to the subscriber.