User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Variable Table Length.

I have a requirement to display tables from Data in the CSV files. The CSV file format varies a lot - The columns and the column count as well.

Displaying this as a tables causes variable length. Sometimes exceeds the page length. Sometimes very short. Is there any way I can find the width required for each column and allocate programatically so that the total width will be something I assign.

Not very much sure if this is the right place to post this topic.

Thanks a lot.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to estimate how many pixels wide the table will be when a users browser renders the table?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, thats right. I like to calculate how many pixels each column would need.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a tough thing to do accurately. Font face, font size, table style, browser, operating system/installed fonts, user browser preferences(like font size) will all potentially have an effect on the final rendered size.

You could probably guess pretty closely if you went with a pixel sized monospace font, but why do you need to define the size in the first place?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An honest attempt to make the tables look uniform across the pages. Right now I have set the table width to be constant. The columns are not assigned any widths. This shows table in a not-very-much-good manner.