SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Hosts with Build-It Templates?

What newbie website builder companies have web templates that are good, stylish (enough), to get going?

Blasphemy, in this forum. I know.

Need to get started with a website... simple... easy, yet "good." Later I can learn HOW to do it myself with the wealth of information in this forum. Have the "Beautiful Web Design" book, and love it!

What I don't have right now is time, or much money.

I've looked at web dot com, godaddy dot com, networksolutions dot com (hate their TOS), and ideally would like a host that allows me to start with a Build-it your-self site builder, then graduate, to creating my own, once I know more than basic HTML.

Haven't jumped in because I keep wondering if there's something better. Figured you guys would know.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Diane

A journey of a thousand miles
    begins with a single step.
    ~~ Lao Tsu

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had accounts at several hosts and have yet to see a free "site builder" or template that is worth a

I would suggest that you do a google search for "free hosting" You can get an account and create a Wordpress site there as a subdomain of theirs, or with your own domain name.

One that I have used is atb host.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't need "free." Just don't want to break the bank. Can pay about $20 per month, for now.

My dilemma is trying to find the "right" place to land that will let me grow into doing my own website.

~~ Lao Tsu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, also, have a Wordpress blog I don't use very much. So, familiar with their system.

Actually need a website to start growing a business, but not "full-bore" eCommerce. (Have about 10 domain names parked at godaddy.)

Been recently studying SquareSpace dot com (sorry since I have so few posts the system won't let me post a complete URL), but it's a bit "edgy" (not my market), and doesn't appear to go in the direction of limited eCommerce.

I favor "Elegant Zen" and am far more comfortable in front of a website, using them, navigating, or researching, than behind it.

Know basic HTML, a bit about Usability, some about Information Architecture, etc. More of a marketing and information research person than a coding person.

Need a phased website progression... and need to learn in baby steps.

First site (that I need to get up and running in the next month) has a niche market, in the construction industry, to existing contractor customers (already sell imaging software to them and need to start a side service-oriented business). Initial need is for lots of "before and after" photos related to computer imaging services.

Another site needs eco-products and resources.

Another will be info-only products... sale and download (except I hate squeeze pages.)

The one I really want to work up to -- where I am actually coding (maybe with some help) -- is the big one.

Thing is, I'll know what I want, when I see it. Haven't seen it yet. Sigh.

Could use suggestions from people who've had more experience with all this.

Off to study BlueHost (one more time) because in a SitePoint thread, about a year or so ago, the forum evaluated various hosts and, at the time they looked pretty good.

Just not sure I can go there yet. Maybe more than I can chew.

Thanks,
    Diane

~~ Lao Tsu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Posted something earlier -- as a reply -- at least if looked as if I did. Is there a "delay" in posts appearing?

~~ Lao Tsu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if this "works"...

Okay…

Talked with someone at Bluehost and even though they offer Pagewizard dot com as their basic site-builder, the more we talked and I explained what I want -- along with my hesitation about getting locked in with web dot com, godaddy dot com, or networksolutions dot com – he helped me get at least a clearer picture of what I am looking for.

He suggested basic site builder that when I develop a website I can then “take it with me” if I decide to change hosts and add on features as I get more comfortable with doing all this.

His initial recommendation is to go look at Web Easy Professional 7 and CoffeeCup.

As I Google search, it appears those are website software design packages, rather than a website where you can actually build a site. I see. (Some reviews are “iffy” on Web Easy.)

Humm.

Have an older version of Macromedia DreamWeaver 8 (didn’t they get sold to Adobe or something?) but that’s way too daunting for me. (And my version is probably ancient by now.)

SO, now that I have a better sense – sort’a -- of narrowing down what it is I am looking for (that I still know how too express well)…

Do you have recommendations for actual web-builder website URLs OR website builder software that might be a step above just a basic level but not as intimidating as DreamWeaver, so that when I put time into building a site and perhaps want to change hosts, I can take it with me?

Whew. Better?

Thanks.
    Diane

~~ Lao Tsu

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest Hostgator. I can build a website with just about any tool I have ever seen, but I do everything with wordpress now. It's that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly good hosts like hostgator, dreamhost, etc have a inbuilt site builder which got some good themes (not that good) and you can start of making a website easily.

Wordpress would be easy though, you can get a lot of free themes around.
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SacredSpaces View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't need "free." Just don't want to break the bank. Can pay about $20 per month, for now.
    $20 a month is a lot - I have many clients on a uk host who charges that per year, and includes the domain name in the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'll go investigate each.

It's frustrating when you don't know, what you don't know.

Diane

~~ Lao Tsu

SitePoint Member kid_programmer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hostgator for free site, JustHost for paid site

SitePoint Member kid_programmer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LunarPages is another good paid site

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_programmer View Post
    Hostgator for free site, JustHost for paid site
    HostGator is a great host, I pay them for my hosting there, I have not seen any free offers.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many hosting companies offer what you want, and there's quite a variety to advise on any (since I build my own, I've never used the templates).

Since you want a simple site that you will re-structure in the future, and you are familiar with WP, I don't think that's a bad option at all and probably safer.

The amount of free WP templates is huge, and with a proper search you can find one that suits your needs.

On the other hand, there is a good chance that you can use it as part of your future web. I mean that it could simply be the blog of a bigger site, you simply would add new sections or areas to the site, and therefore take advantage of whatever articles you write on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all.

Had a Laptop crash on May 1st and been dealing with that. Got it back last Friday -- wiped clean -- and just starting to re-populate (backup wasn't working well I discovered.).

Will pick up with this investigation in ernest, next week.

Diane

~~ Lao Tsu

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest Homestead or Site Build It. Reasonable prices.
    Terry Loomis - Check out my website building and blogging
    tools at http://www.TJSNorthWoodsMall.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely wouldn't rely on any 'wizards' that come with your web host. I am fond of content management systems myself such as drupal or joomla and I don't have time to spend on building static web pages. I think you can make a very professional looking website at your own pace if you use a cms but still have your site 'out there' while you are in the process of learning. IMHO go with a cms. You can start off with templates that are close to your vision until you learn how to roll your own. Doing static pages is just too tedious as far as updates, adding/removing content, etc.

As far as hosts go, I would try out dreamhost or hostgator since I have had the best experience with them. Stay away from homestead, very very far away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out http://SoldWith.com for a good full featured site

super quick to set up

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don`t need hosts with build-in templates you can use CMS platforms. Like Wordpress, Joomla, e107....... and u can find free host with all u need mysql/user ... php and support. I like e107 because it has nice templates for company websites.
    Last edited by Dan Schulz; Jun 1, 2009 at 13:34. Reason: removed fake signature

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to tell you about free web hosting service I use now.
    Register here: 000webhost.com/177165.html

They give 1500 MB of disk space and 100 GB data transfer. I am now using them for about 3 months and never seen any downtime of server problems. There is no any kind of advertising on my pages too, so I think its worth to signup.