SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Host my own websites with used servers?

I'm considering buying a used servers and hosting my own personal websites that I build at my home using the following service:

Comcast offers two business service plans which are $59.95 or $89.95 a month. The $59.95 plan provides 6 megs down and 1 meg up. The $89.95 plan provides 16 megs down and 2 megs up. Port 80 is open on the business service plan only and not on the residential plans. One static IP address is $5.00 a month. 5 static IP addresses are $10.00 a month. This is the information Comcast gave me through their business service department.

I'm looking into possibly running LAMP on the servers, I'm researching which used servers to buy and I'm wondering exactly how many people could be using the server at the same time using a general/average database driven website? Is this worth doing and if it is what used brand and model of servers are worth buying?

Thanks

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, price. Why would you want to pay $60 or $90 a month for worse hosting than you'd get for $5 from a web hosting company? Your 1MB or 2MB up is the full download speed available to all concurrent users of your websites. A single user downloading a large file can saturate your entire link and take down your sites for everyone else. Not only is that capacity reduced by your own use of your connection, but the websites may prevent you from doing what you want. Want to play a game? Hope your site isn't very popular or you might not have the bandwidth left.

Second, reliability and uptime. Who's monitoring your sites when you sleep? What happens when your hard drive crashes or power supply fails? Your sites are down, with a real host, they're monitored 24/7 and hardware can be replaced immediately with on-hand spares.

If you just want the experience of running the server software, set up a local development environment, and use it to code and test your websites. Then publish them on a web host for others to access.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an example of what the Comcast 16/2 connection can do. The office where I work has been using that service since the Time-Warner days when it was 2/2, and cost $300/month.

We have 95 mobile users who are connected through VPN, with 30 to 60 users active at any given time. If the users want internet access, they have to come back in through the VPN to traverse the web filter and then get the pages sent back through the VPN, this effectively doubles the traffic from the VPN. There are 30 internal users that also get internet access through the connection. It also serves our public web pages (heavy on database content) to 3500 users a day.

We have no complaints with the speed. Comcast is known to do their maintenance work on Monday morning in the wee hours, which is 15 minutes to an hour when that happens, and we are a 24/7 shop, but we get by.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever tested your line speed? Depending on your area and what version of DOCSIS has been rolled out, you may be getting much more than you paid for (16/2), while that might not be true in other areas.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never tested line speed, that is for the network guys. I just know that the connection at work is as good as at home (both the same cable company), and I can access the office website as quickly as any.

I have considered doing the same thing as the op, but a good VPS is still quite a bit less at this time, especially when you consider adding the ips and the taxes to the bill, not to mention the server and os.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, I was sent to this thread by the SitePoint Tech Times newsletter, sorry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you sorry about? We're just discussing. Everyone's free to give their opinion

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know in some forums that multiple threads about the same subject are frowned upon. As you can see, I'm not a frequent writer, but this subject was something I have had experience with in the past.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlane View Post
    I know in some forums that multiple threads about the same subject are frowned upon. As you can see, I'm not a frequent writer, but this subject was something I have had experience with in the past.
    My posting that other thread link was not on your account. (other than so you could see it) I was just pointing out that there was another thread created by the OP on basically the same topic. I did not mean to dismiss your opinion/comment in anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    My posting that other thread link was not on your account. (other than so you could see it) I was just pointing out that there was another thread created by the OP on basically the same topic. I did not mean to dismiss your opinion/comment in anyway.
    I assume that he meant that you had had done the search before started the thread. But if someone new to the forums he might don't know about search options at all
    ASPnix Web Hosting - ASP.NET, MS SQL, AJAX, Hyper-V
    Microsoft Hosting and Virtualization

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ben, I thought I was in trouble because a thread pre-existed on the subject. Anyway, we digress.