SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 Sites For Fantastic, Free Fonts

SitePoint's newest blogger, Sean Aune, (ex-Mashable) is going to be writing a weekly list post here on SitePoint.

His first has just gone up, and it's a cracker. Check it out:

30 Sites For Fantastic, Free Fonts

Congratulations and welcome, Sean!
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    While that article is really good in its ranking of the different types of free fonts available, I must agree with his original statement about typography being an expensive business, though so much work does go into creating a typeface, there are fonts which (with their variants) can cost anything upward of $500+ which is a lot of money to spend on a font you may only use a couple of times.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great idea for SitePoint and I hope you continue on this path. It will be helpful for everyone.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some very good font sources listed here. It's almost impossible to make a comprehensive list, as there are tons of free (more or less) font sites out there, and some which are not particularly scrupulous.

Two obvious caveats: One, making your own font is quite difficult, if you want to make a serious font that has a strong glyph base and follows most accepted typographical conventions. Two, though these free sites have some terrific fonts, they are hard to use on the Web, simply because most people won't have them on their machines. There are alternatives such as SIFR and creating graphics using the fonts, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection of font resources. Thanks. I agree that fonts can get very expensive. Nothing worse than a client wanting a particular font on the $xxxx.00 website where the purchase of the font blows profit margins.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this really useful resource list, I do occasionally purchase font sets, but am reluctant if they are for a specific client, they usually don't want to cover the cost.
    The biggest difficulty I often have is finding fonts that are MAC safe/usable as sometimes you download a font that you should be able to use on MAC but end up with a font warning.
    I look forward to your other articles.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome, thanks!
    As a graphic designer who creates ebook covers, I'm always looking for new places to find spectacular high quality fonts to use in my artwork- I'm already using four of the sites you mention, but that's rarely enough. So here you go, now I've got a sweet big list of places to sort through!

Cheers.
    Get ebook covers or minisite designs made to go
    - Fully 100% satisfaction guaranteed service!
    Browse my online portfolio of original ebook covers today!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a nice list of websites to get new kinds of fonts. I like using different fonts so I find the list enjoyable to go through in my leisure time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the list! I'm a big fan of Dafont, but its good to have some alternate sources! Dafont does have a pretty quality selection though. As far as free fonts go, that is. The kerning is never top notch with a free font it seems....