SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DoFollow in Forum Signitures

How come some people's signitures are dofollow and some are nofollow? When do they change?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    they change after you have made 100 meaningful posts (meaningful as explained in the FAQ)

posts in General Chat and Introductions don't count
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    they change after you have made 100 meaningful posts

posts in General Chat and Introductions don't count
    The nofollow links in signatures changes to dofollow once the user completes 100 posts

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not relevant anymore. The signatures aren't visible to non-logged in visitors (and thus SE bots): http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620935
    Saul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are right php_daemon signatures aren't visible to non-logged in visitors. Then why the admin has made such rules of nofollow and dofollow?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Addison0 View Post
    Then why the admin has made such rules of nofollow and dofollow?
    because we did not realize how persistent, mindless, and totally selfish the sig spammers would turn out to be
    r937.com | rudy.ca | Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to something I recently read from Matt Cutts, Google is now passing along PR and anchor text to "nofollow" links. Not sure there ultimately is much difference between "nofollow" and "dofollow" these days.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MayaLocke View Post
    According to something I recently read from Matt Cutts, Google is now passing along PR and anchor text to "nofollow" links. Not sure there ultimately is much difference between "nofollow" and "dofollow" these days.
    I just read this as well on another forum and it caused a giant debate
    Buy Website Traffic
    Free Web Hosting - 5gig Space / 15 GB Bandwidth

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MayaLocke View Post
    My understanding from reading what Matt had to say is that the PR is still not passed to nofollow links but instead of being redistributed to the links that can be followed that protion of the PR is discarded instead.

Not that it makes any difference given the relatively negligible importance of PR compared to all the other SEO factors.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Not that it makes any difference given the relatively negligible importance of PR compared to all the other SEO factors.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Page Rank is not important compared to all other SEO factors? What other factors?

I think most people now agree that onsite optimization is worth almost nothing. I see sites with absolutely no content or onsite optimization reach the top of the results "All the Time".

I see sites that don't even have the relevant keywords in their title and description tags still make it into the top 5 for those keywords.

Why?

Obviously they have hundred if not thousands of relevant and trust worthy sites linking to them using these keywords (and/or with these keywords surrounding their link). And if you have lots of trusty worthy (high PR) sites linking to you, you will inevitably gain PR yourself.
    Jason Vandenbrink
    Singles Chat
    Chat Retreat

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to make a site which people don't require, you are wasting your time.

I make my sites with real interest and only when there isn't one site serving the same information as I am. By that I don't mean 'ah but they don't have this article and this article' - I mean 'hmm, this site has an article on electromagnetism but this site has an article on gravitation - but there aren't sites with both.' - so I'd make a site on physics and put up information on both.

That's what gets good search ranking. ORIGINALLITY. The web is full of people expecting to make millions by doing the same thing as everybody else - as soon as you do something different, you're on the right track.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvan View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Page Rank is not important compared to all other SEO factors? What other factors?
    Google use over 200 factors in determining where to place pages in their search results - they don't tell us what the more important of those factors actually are. The Page Rank algorithm is one of the least important factors since it pays no attention to what the page is about or the relevance of any links that come to the page. One million garbage links is worth no more or less in PR than one million really relevant links. There are other factors that Google use that involve the relevance of links.

Yes a page that does all the right things and gets a top listing in the search results will have a high PR but that high PR will be a result of getting to the top of the results and not the cause of it. If you concentrate soley on building PR you will eventually have a PR 7 site that is not listed anywhere that can be found because no one goes deep enough into the search results and because you've ignored the other factors Google places every other page ahead of yours.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I agree that the pursuit of PR should not me a mindless endeavour.

Your PR should come from releveant sites using your keywords in and around the anchor text.

Personally, I always begin by carefully researching what keywords I will go for first. Then I do everything I can to my site to optimize for these keywords (onsite optimization). However, I don't fool myself. I know that all this only brings my to the starting line.
    Jason Vandenbrink
    Singles Chat
    Chat Retreat