SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Host Gator is Shady...aren't they all though

Yeah so I signed up for $4 hosting for one site nothing exciting....well the second month I was charged $8. WTF...when I wen back to the site I see that $4 hosting is when you purchase 3 years worth. I never saw this before and also it was never mentioned along the registration process!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't get past the first step in ordering hosting without knowing exactly what you'll be billed.

The up-front and monthly price is then repeated several times during the signup process.

This isn't something they just changed. Host Gator is not "shady" or "sneaky", their pricing is very clearly presented at all stages.
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Apr 28, 2009 at 13:33.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't get past the first step in ordering hosting without knowing exactly what you'll be billed.
    Also, before you check out and agree to the billing, you are presented with the amount you have to pay for the initial bill, as well as the value of future bills. You can't have any surprises, unless you don't take the time to read the (non overwhelming) billing info.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just hostgator i am not sure what you are talking about. they bill me one fee each month with no issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use hostgator reseller hosting, this situation does not appear! Prices are shown in detail!
    Love computers,to play Warcraft longing for happy healthy life

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HostGator is a pretty middle of the pack host for shared hosting. Their tech support is okay, not bad, not great. They claim to do things they don't actually do. But having said all that that is how the whole industry of shared hosting operated.

People want everything for next to nothing... so they all make promises that they can't really deliver because they know the average guy will never push the limits.

And it's very common to advertise a price that is associated with a very long term commitment. And I would agree with the others that it's pretty hard to miss this fact as you sign up.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasr View Post
    Yeah so I signed up for $4 hosting for one site nothing exciting....well the second month I was charged $8. WTF...when I wen back to the site I see that $4 hosting is when you purchase 3 years worth. I never saw this before and also it was never mentioned along the registration process!
    You are supposed to read the information on the signup pages and not just assume that you know what it says and click on the links. Obviously if you went back to the site and could see it there now it was also there when you first signed up and you just didn't read it at that time.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thomas,

The $4 is unless you make full payment of 3 years upfront. Hostgator is not shady, it's just you didn't see the details properly. They are pretty reliable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's not shady, it's just different payment plans and thats how everyone else does it too.
    Web Banner Design
    -------------------------------------
    Banner Design | File Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very typical of most hosts. They usually give a better deal the longer you prepay for. Even at $8, that is still not bad for HostGator hosting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you always need to read features and list of software installed before signing up

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure you might be feeling real bad, but generally hostgator does make this clear in their process of registration. could you be u missed out on it. Why don't you contest it, you will get really good customer care from them.