Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejeff View Post
    GeoCities will close later this year.

more information on
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/geo...cities-05.html
    Wow I'm amazed they are even still running... That takes me back a bit! My first website was hosted on Geocities I think...
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember using Geocities to design my first websites. Had a pretty popular clan site for the original Diablo game once. Brings back fond memories. Geocities was the host, or was that Tripod? Doesn't matter, they are both dying breeds now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they have already closed photos and now its Flickr and aslo briefcase also... and now came down to Geocities... i dont know for what reason yahoo is closing these services.. could anyone explain me with that...
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Apr 29, 2009 at 12:43. Reason: Removed faux signature

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    zenie, Flickr is not closing, get your facts straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had completely forgotten about GeoCities. Wow. That brings back the old days and my early website development.
    Add your logo to Pocket Folders.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need this freaking GeoCities, use uCoz. Aren't free unlimited disk space and bandwidth enough for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought geocities were dead long time ago. It century belongs to the paste century. What purpose does it serve languishing this way? Geocities is well past its sell-by-date and should be been no more long time ago.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are we meant to put animated gifs now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amit290 View Post
    Where are we meant to put animated gifs now
    Why in 1998 where they belong of course!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know they'll come back into fashion dont you worry, everything does . Having said that I still get requests these days to put an animated under construction image on a site while its being developed. LOL

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you think all the spinning status/loading images are in our AJAX apps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ohh... my memories, geocities
    I had first website on there before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    What do you think all the spinning status/loading images are in our AJAX apps?
    Dan, I actually approve of them, purely on the basis that the animation lets us know that something is progressing (it has become a convention in itself) and it also lets us know the window (hint IE users here) has not frozen up on us.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The very first site I ever made was on Geocities under the Hollywood section because it was about celebrities. I still have the site, but of course it has grown tremendously since then.
    TYCP Magazine
    Picspaces - image hosting with unlimited bandwidth
    Hollywood Encountered - submit your celebrity encounters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting move on their part. If they want to push the non-paying customers into becoming paying ones, wouldn't it make more sense to still offer a very very limited free service? One with zero support and very limited resources - essentially what they have now. It's such a common business model, I'm curious as to why they can't make that work.

Funny, I got this email from an ancient ring webmasters group. I guess I must have had a site on geocities too, eons ago, and it must have been part of a ring. Anyways, they warn people about geocities closing down and go on and on about how terrible that is, then say they will now offer free hosting to all "ringmasters" on their own service. I went to their website, following a link to a testimonial, and this lady talks in detail about her ring website, where she actually sells merchandise and makes money. First AOL cut her off, and she lost a lot of money, now geocities. So, now she's thrilled to be able to move to the free ringmasters service. Makes you wonder, if she has a commercial, revenue-generating website, why on earth not get a good hosting service for a few bucks a month?
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahoo is shutting down a lot of their services lateley. They closed yahoo photos, yahoo briefcase and now yahoo geocities. I totally did not use yahoo photos and yahoo briefcase but yahoo geocities is the place where i created my first website. I might even have some of my first html pages there. I wish that they did not shut down geocities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geo cities lol.
    My first website experiments were on there, after a while I just couldn’t handle the in your face ads.

Once in a while I used to browse through Geo sites for all over the world their was some interesting one and some really good ones also (not a lot of good ones but some).

RIP geo cities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once geocities was wonderfully service, i started learning to create a web page using geocities.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geocities was a learning experience for a lot of us (kinda like training wheels).
    It is definitely a shame to see it go.

But I am surprised (like someone mentioned before also), that they
    are not trying to sell it and get whatever they can rather than just shut down.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently tried to delete my geocities websites. I didn't want to upgrade to a pay site because I objected to what I considered blackmail...upgrade or be deleted. Yahoo's customer service stinks, especially with regard to UK customers and I'd rather find a pay host elsewhere. Anyway, I thought I'd be damned if I let them delete my site, I'd do it myself, and duly went through the process. I get to the end and push the 'yes I want to delete' button, but all I get is a message to say there has been a problem and the request can't be carried out. Rubbish, this is a deliberate tack on the part of Yahoo to prevent people taking down their own sites. I tried to sign back in to delete my content page by page, but can't, my account page is now 'not found.' My site is still accessible on the web, but I can't access my own dashboard to change or delete it page by page. It won't accept my password. I'm locked out of my own site. Yahoo has effectively STOLEN my content. What are they going to do with the content of sites they delete? Who are they going to pass it onto? I've tried contacting yahoo, but to no avail. If you've got a geocities site and you don't want to upgrade then my advice is to start deleting your content item by item, don't leave it for Yahoo to delete, because the truth is, none of us know what they're going to do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Eliza2, What you should remember first off is that you should not consider Yahoo taking down geocities as a sign of blackmail. You had that geocities account without payment and completely free of charge, Yahoo owe you nothing for your service because you do not offer them anything which will help their revenue (seriously you can't blame them for retracting a service that costs them money which they aren't getting back? and why should they not offer customers a chance to go with a fully fledged hosting service.), after all they are a business not a charity. In respect to customer service and hosting, you get what you pay for, if you are going to host your website with someone for free you should not expect the same level of support for those of us who pay money for our services.

If geocities website stated that there was a problem deleting the website you should try again later, there may well have been a glitch in the system, there is no point complaining and making up conspiracy stories just because an error occured when lets face it, technology is unpredictable and even thousand dollar hosting can suffer glitches from time to time. As for Yahoo "stealing" your content, when you uploaded your content to their servers and signed up for an account you effectively granted them a non exclusive right to use your information in any way they see fit (or did you not read the contract?), it is not theft when you give them the data in the first place, even if they choose to hold it longer than you wish.

As for what they are going to do with the website, you trusted them in the first place to host your website to which they could have passed on your data to wherever they wanted and now you suddenly get the idea that they are going to sell whatever is on your website when they are simply closing their free services? Yahoo are a well known and respected business and more than likely they will keep the data for the usual grace period (under law) and then remove the information permanantly.

What really irks me is when people place their precious documents on a service, do not contribute anything towards the people who keep it running and suddenly expect premium support and get shocked and bewildered when that non-profit business is closed due to financial reasons. Seriously, if you wanted your important website to be in a controlled location to which you can expect something from the owners, you get what you pay for.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody know when exactly geocities will be closed

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eliza2 View Post
    Rubbish, this is a deliberate tack on the part of Yahoo to prevent people taking down their own sites.
    I think that this is a glitch more than anything else. Still, ask yourself... do they have any financial information from you? something they could actually use to charge you for the service? If they don't, you shouldn't worry much

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update to this thread:

Got an email from Yahoo today, they've set the final closing date for Geocities as Monday, October 26th. It still gives plenty of time for people to move their sites from geocities to other hosting
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Got that email too.

Here it is, for those who haven't gotten it yet.

Important notice: GeoCities is closing.
    Dear Yahoo! GeoCities customer,

We're writing to let you know that Yahoo! GeoCities, our free web site building service and community, is closing on October 26, 2009.

On October 26, 2009, your GeoCities site will no longer appear on the Web, and you will no longer be able to access your GeoCities account and files.

What You Need to Do
    If you'd like to move your web site, or save the images and other files you've posted online, you need to act now by choosing one of the following options:
    • Move your site to Yahoo! Web Hosting.
    We know your files are important to you, and we want to make moving to Web Hosting as easy and affordable as we can. For a limited time, you can move your files automatically, take advantage of terrific features like a personalized domain name and email, even redirect your GeoCities web address to your new site — all for only $4.99 a month for a full year.

For more information and complete terms, please see our special offer now.

• Download your files to your own computer.
    With your pages and images saved offline, you can re-create your site with any hosting provider.

To quickly download your published files, visit your GeoCities web site, right-click on each page, and choose Save Page As... from the menu that appears. Choose a location on your computer to save your files, then click OK or Save. Learn more about downloading your files.

Don't Wait
    Please be aware that after October 26, your GeoCities files will be deleted from our servers, and will not be recoverable. If you'd like to save your files, you must download them now or move to Yahoo! Web Hosting. If you need assistance, please visit the help center.

We want to thank you for being a GeoCities customer, and hope you continue to enjoy our other Yahoo! services.

Best regards,

The Yahoo! GeoCities team