SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GeoCities was an interesting, unique service, but Yahoo killed it. When you strangle a service like this with lousy hourly transfer limits and pervasive advertising, it's no surprise that users will want to go elsewhere.

Yahoo itself is a dinosaur. If they would've kept doing search properly, Google would've never emerged as a strong competitor.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really It's a History My First website was in the geocities but now yahoo now implement cost saving by shut downing many services like briefcase and others and I hope they don't shutdown all services by the end of the year :P

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geocities was a huge hit before but maybe due to global recession they are doing this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a pity i have a 11 year old site there. Memories... it can't cost that much to support?

They should create a quick interface with godaddy and offer godaddy users free hosting with ads or something.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhellyer View Post
    I don't get it. How can you not make a profit off of a giant site which has obscenely 'in yer face' advertising plastered all over it?

Sure, it may not be a big profit considering how few people actually use it, but I'd have thought that it would at least be worth selling, not killing off.

Even just stopping new customers from signing up would have been fine. At least the existing sites (which there are plenty of useful ones) would be able to continue and they'd still be generating advertising revenue. Their data limits are puny so it's not as though their being overcome with too much information or anything like that.

Perhaps it is worth so little that Yahoo! can't even be bothered selling it? Or maybe they've added proprietary code in there that they don't want their competitors having access to?
    Check the site, they are pushing $11,95/mo paid hosting accounts. This is from their FAQ:

"You don't need to change your service today, but we encourage anyone interested in a full-featured web hosting plan to consider upgrading to our award-winning Yahoo! Web Hosting service."

Basically, they are killing it to get more paid signups. It has nothing to do with the recession. At $12/mo you need a really low conversion rate to make more money than ads geocities websites make. Financially, they are probably doing the right thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPartch View Post
    Yes even though I do not use geocities any longer, this is where I first experimented with web design and in a way, I'm a little sad to hear about this. Not sure why, guess I am just sentimental.
    Ditto.

Alex
    Alex Stanford @alexstanford tumblog about.me in fb G+ K
    TechTalkin The Premier Community for Technology Enthusiasts and Professionals
    Full Ambit Media Zero Sacrifice Web Design & Development; Made in the USA @fullambit in fb G+ K

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My first website was hosted with Geocities as well as It was excellent as a playground for simple “push and go” production for the web. What I will not miss about them was the bandwidth restrictions (daily) which caused your site to get that white screen of death saying "exceeded bandwidth"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can still remember my very first website from Geocities. Too bad they have to close down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MY first site was a geocity site about 'TV Theme Songs' haha, kept me up all night trying to upload songs with a 33.6 dial-up, had a ball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should think at some point in the distant past, I had a geocities site. As a young person not earning any money hosts like geocities, homestead (remember when it used to be free?), 50megs and moonfruit were the only real choices. The aim was to find one that didn't have ads or one where you could easily get around the ads yes, the sites were crap and the hosting even crapper but it played a valuable part in me getting to know the web, and leading on to getting a job in the industry!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that's too bad. I've had more than a couple websites hosted through GeoCities.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats really a pity... Lets see by the end of this year how many yahoo services get closed..

SitePoint Enthusiast alokjain_lucky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmmm....

First Yahoo Photos, then Yahoo Briefcase and now GeoCities...

Is Yahoo shutting down it's business slowly?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alokjain_lucky View Post
    hmmmm....

Their stock's been hit hard, first by the Microsoft takeover mess, then by the economy. They're trimming back employees and divisions. I don't think they're going anywhere, they're still the #2 largest in the world, they're just trimming off the old, non-essential pieces to focus on the important properties.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff

SitePoint Zealot PatrickSamphire's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say I'm really sorry. Geocities was part of our history, yes, but the web has moved on and amateurs are far better served by other types of service. When Geocities started, the web was a very different place. There's some nostalgia for us oldies, but it's still time to move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    "You don't need to change your service today, but we encourage anyone interested in a full-featured web hosting plan to consider upgrading to our award-winning Yahoo! Web Hosting service."

Basically, they are killing it to get more paid signups. It has nothing to do with the recession. At $12/mo you need a really low conversion rate to make more money than ads geocities websites make. Financially, they are probably doing the right thing.
    Ah, that makes a whole bunch more sense then.

Just killing it to get rid of it seemed stupid. Killing it so that their poor users resort to paying their exorbitant paid hosting fees makes complete sense for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, never expected this to happen.
    They should at least inform everyone with much more details
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is sad news, im sure a lot of us remember making some of our first sites through a free services like this. I personally remember using angelfire as host... im pretty sure they are long gone too

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dks404 View Post
    This is sad news, im sure a lot of us remember making some of our first sites through a free services like this. I personally remember using angelfire as host... im pretty sure they are long gone too
    AngelFire's still offering free 20MB hosting accounts. They're owned by Lycos now, which has been bought and sold a few times, and is owned by a Korean company now.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yahoo! photo's isnt really a good example seeing as they own Flickr, their old service really became redundant years ago

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first webpage was on geocities, i still remember making that thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... then Yahoo Briefcase ...
    I don't think Yahoo Briefcase was ever going to be very successful. There aren't many advertising opportunities for file storage services whereas other free services like webhost and email offer the opportunity to advertise to many people, not just the sole user of the service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow whats going to happen to all of my old poor quality websites. Brings back memories of angelfire too. Their upload feature was so wonky.
    Add your logo to Pocket Folders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, my first portfolio website was a geocities website.
    G. Armento - Design, Multimedia, Illustration, Photography
    -------------------------------------------------------
    www.communications-by-design.com