User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GeoCities will close later this year.

GeoCities will close later this year.

After careful consideration, we have decided to close GeoCities later this year. We'll share more details this summer.
    more information on
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/geo...cities-05.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. Even Yahoo GeoCities is affected by this worldwide recession. Anyway, I think it is really more effective to use and have your own domain name and hosting rather than this kind of services. I haven't seen any site hosted in geocities who ranked well for certain popular searches.

SitePoint Enthusiast Gerald Winter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geocities started out as a happy bunch of communities based on common interests.

When Yahoo took it over, they changed much of the format, and they lost me and several friends. And according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeoCities
    Yahoo!'s acquisition of GeoCities proved extremely unpopular and users soon began to leave en masse in protest
    Whether it could survive the evolution to the blog dominated world of today is arguably doubtful.

As far as I am concerned Geocities died 10 years ago, life goes on.
    Gerald Winter
    Tips from Mr Bigcheck to make your check Bigger
    Save money on all inclusive vacation packages

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my first Web sites was hosted on GeoCities. It wasn't meant to be popular, just a testing ground for a fan site I was trying to build at the time.

Given what Yahoo! did to the property, it's really no surprise that it's no longer profitable. However, rather than shut the service down, they should either spin it off or sell it to someone who can fix the problems and restore some of the shine that old girl once had.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes even though I do not use geocities any longer, this is where I first experimented with web design and in a way, I'm a little sad to hear about this. Not sure why, guess I am just sentimental.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, geocities. brings back fond memories of websites to which i can't remember my username. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeruel View Post
    I haven't seen any site hosted in geocities who ranked well for certain popular searches.
    I don't know what you mean by "certain popular searches" but there are a lot of very good small websites created by hobbyists still hosted on Geocities and similar "community" websites - genealogy buffs, train entusiasts, stamp collectors, woodworkers, etc... I still see those sites regularly in certain pinpointed searches. I never used Geocities but I do have a personal genealogy site on Tripod (a similar site to Geocities) that site ranks #1 in Google for a number of surnames when combined with the word "genealogy."

Many of the people who created those sites may not have the time or the inclination to move or recreate their sites, or even the skill to do so if they built the site using Geocities site building tools and know little or nothing about creating a website.

Losing those sites would be a shame. Some of them provide information that simply doesn't exist elsewhere, or at least if very difficult to find.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there goes that website I made over ten years ago and havn't looked at since. I always wondered if it was still there.
    A community environment where web designers can share their work:
    RateMyWebPage.net
    Check out and review some new and unique websites or submit your own

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McStompin View Post
    Well, there goes that website I made over ten years ago and havn't looked at since. I always wondered if it was still there.
    Since they have a policy of cleaning up sites not updated within the last two years it was probably deleted long ago.

I started my first site on Geocities back in 2000 and moved it to its own hosting once I had enough of it done to make the move worthwhile.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There used to be some great sites hosted on GeoCities. Ton's of fan sites that were quite popular, but that was way before adsense and monetizing you web site.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geocities was great when it started up. Seems like everyone got their start there. Like so many other companies it failed to keep pace with the times. The closure is long overdue.

I wonder who would be interested in buying it, especially during these times? If they can get a couple bucks for it they should at least try. Yahoo certainly could do with some more cash.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange that they wouldn't put it up for sale.

I wonder if I could get an affiliate commission if I could get them to sign up on eBay and sell it there
    Last edited by vernon-oliver; Apr 23, 2009 at 15:21. Reason: sp

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Alas poor Geocities, I knew thee well!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this had been a good site....like most of you here, i also started my first site in geocities..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a piece of history in all it' glory (the good, the bad and the ugly). I hope the send a copy to archive.org for historical purposes...

While the shutdown is over-due, it's a piece of web nostalgia going dark..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow i had no idea it was still alive ! I havent come across a geocities site in many years....

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few sites that stand as monuments to the past that remain on geocities now. Hopefully, archive.org has a good record of them, but it is unfortunate they have to take geocities down. Surely, a few 1 TB hard drives would be enough to keep most of it online at least.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's part of the life, everything will comes to its end.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It stopped being relevant when Yahoo bought it. I'm surprised the paid the electric bill for ten years.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GeoCities was my second web host back in 1996. The first HTML tutorial I ever read was at http://www.geocities.com/athens/2090 ... 13 years and I still remember the URL, even though it hasn't pointed to an active website in many years.

Back in middle school, one of my classes did an experiment where every student had to play the stock market with fake money for a few weeks to learn about it. My first investment was CMGI, the VC fund that owned much of GeoCities at the time. I made a profit on that pick.

I'll miss it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are we not internet professionals? Let's save our roots and our hobbyist brothers by saving Geocities. Surely there is something we can do? Start up another service? It's not like we have a shortage of skills around here.

If it wasn't for sites like Geocities, homestead or many of the others I am certain many of us would not be the web developers we are today. We may not even be web developers. Web hosting is not cheap for hobbyist or teenagers and ISPs do not give you hosting any more. In the spirit of Spaceballs "DO SOMETHING!"
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NetNerd85 View Post
    Web hosting is not cheap for hobbyist or teenagers and ISPs do not give you hosting any more. In the spirit of Spaceballs "DO SOMETHING!"
    There are many more free web hosts available now than there were in GeoCities' prime. Take a look at the FreeWebHostingTalk for a starting point. There are already free hosting sites advertising themselves specifically to former GeoCities users.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as Yahoo doesn't give people 30 days to remove there data or something stupid like that. They should point people to other services. Their message of "oh we're shutting down, we'll give you more details later" is a bit of a slap in the face.
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember one of my first websites back in 1998 was hosted at http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/9902 (That site lasted for over 7 years, albeit on different servers.)

I remember when you signed up for space, you actually had to browse and click on little graphic neighborhoods. Ah, the memories!
    Terri Eades - Web/Graphic Designer - www.terrieades.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't get it. How can you not make a profit off of a giant site which has obscenely 'in yer face' advertising plastered all over it?

Sure, it may not be a big profit considering how few people actually use it, but I'd have thought that it would at least be worth selling, not killing off.

Even just stopping new customers from signing up would have been fine. At least the existing sites (which there are plenty of useful ones) would be able to continue and they'd still be generating advertising revenue. Their data limits are puny so it's not as though their being overcome with too much information or anything like that.

Perhaps it is worth so little that Yahoo! can't even be bothered selling it? Or maybe they've added proprietary code in there that they don't want their competitors having access to?