SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

a fresh, new start... dujmovicv's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

M'board is dead?

Hi all, thank you for reading this post, hope someone can tell me what is going on with my motherboard.....

I cannot turn my PC on. I checked the AC/DC module, it's working. Furthermore there is a kind of control LED on the motherboard that lights green. When I press the power button, the CPU fan starts and makes a few circles (2-3 sec's) and then it stops and the PC doesn't turn on. Please don't tell me I'll have to buy a new board (and memory and cpu and graphic card...)

I appreciate your tips!!!!
    Regards

Full time ADMIN - art community
    Part time coder - dsign

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unplug it from the wall, flip the switch on the back of the PSU, and reset the BIOS. You do this by moving the position of the CMOS RESET jumper, located near the CMOS battery, from the two pins it's on to the other two pins for a second or two, then moving it back.

If it still doesn't start, start removing hardware. Unplug any drives connected to the board, then remove any PCI/AGP cards, then remove sticks of memory. Attempt to start the computer after removing each item. Finally, if all else fails, remove the CPU and try then.

Even without a video card, memory, drives, etc. you should see the fans spin up and hear several beeps from the PC speaker on the motherboard which indicate an error state.

If all of this fails, then yes, the board is dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dan for the detailed answer, I will try to go through this step-by-step and will come back with my (hopefully positive) response.

Regards

Part time coder - dsign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My board was having the same symptoms and it was dead. Dan is right. Check by unplugging your additional hardware. or even you can remove your ram and try only one module on first slot.

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a post card (example of one found on ebay). When a PC is going through its POST checks when turned on, it broadcasts the status along the buses. A POST card picks up the status signals and displays a code. You would then look up the code on the relevant chart (which can be found by googling for it using i think the bios chip number as the search value).
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was unplugging ALL the stuff from the board step-by-step.... Unfortunately with NO response from the machine. I suppose it's over for the Motherboard... Anyway thank you guys for your time and your tips. I really appreciate it!

Have a nice day!

Part time coder - dsign

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried a different PSU on the chance that it could be the PSU playing up?
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that was the first I've checked. Unfortunately the PSU was good.....

Part time coder - dsign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its also possible that your cpu is fried. Mainboard seems to be the most likely though. Perhaps you have a friend with a motherboard that supports the same memory and cpu. You could then start swapping your parts into his to see if they all work. That would help you determine the actual dead component. Right now with the information you have its unknown if its mainboard, cpu or possibly ram.
    Add your logo to Pocket Folders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you've done the steps provided by Dan Grossman, then the main problem is your motherboard. There are many cheap motherboards out there that you can use, just make sure its compatible with your processor, video card, sound card and etc.