User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Host and domain for a newbie

Hi All,

I had a quick question in regards to Host and domains.

I am very new to web design but really enjoying all of the challenges that it is presenting. I am now looking for a Host and Domain for a few VERY basic websites (mostly just (X)HTML and CSS and maybe a little PHP.

My questions are these:

1. Is always better to choose a host and domain company in the country you reside? (I live in Spain and although my Spanish is not bad, if I need technical help I may struggle)

2. I would need both host and domain that has A LOT of customer help/service as I am a newbie. Any suggestions of what would be important to look for and anything I should try to avoid?

3. Would there be any problems choosing host or domain that is situated in the US? (apart from higher phone bills if I should need to contact via phone).

Any suggestion would be appreciated and congrats on such a great website.
    Jan

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main concern with where you host is local search results. If you want to be found on Google Spain / Yahoo! Spain, then hosting in that country will increase your rank in those search engines as they give a boost to local sites.

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Jan/Dan,

I don't find much difference at all between hosts around the world - except that the US hosts seem to offer more at a better price. I have clients with US and NZ websites (domain names) located at a server in the US and all that matters (IMHO) is the domain tld.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and all that matters (IMHO) is the domain tld.
    True, that would be sufficient.

If the site's visitors are from Spain/Europe, it may make sense to host close to the region, as there may be a noticeable page load time difference, especially with very simple sites where the page processing time is quite negligible.

If you want English based support, go for UK.
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All,

Thank you very much for your advice/comments, they are much appreciated that was exactly what I needed to know.

I will go with a UK based host and probably get the domain with the same company too.

Has anyone had some great experiences with a UK host - customer service wise. I have had a look at a few but they all boast that they has great customer service (who wouldn't!!). I am just a little worried about having problems and not being able to resolve them through not so great customer service.

Thank you all again for your replies and help.
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say go for hostgator in the US. Good prices and you always have live chat support which has been of a high standard anytime I have used them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi g1siberia,

Thanks for the advice, I was looking at Hostgator and know they provide 24/7 support which will mean that the time difference will not matter if I do need help. ldcdc mentioned a page load time difference so I may look for a UK one.

Thanks everyone and if anyone has any experience with a cheap UK based server I would be interested to know. The host I am with currently is about to expire (I only purchased a year) and although they were very helpful they did make me feel a little stupid when I contacted them for advice. Mind you the questions i asked probably were stupid!!

Thanks all
    Jan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

1. Is always better to choose a host and domain company in the country you reside? (I live in Spain and although my Spanish is not bad, if I need technical help I may struggle)
    You must always select a host which is near to your targeted traffic. Most good hosts are working faster all over the world. For example, hostgator.

2. I would need both host and domain that has A LOT of customer help/service as I am a newbie. Any suggestions of what would be important to look for and anything I should try to avoid?
    A lot of famous hosts on internet have a live chat feature and also a ticket submit feature, you may utilize them. They will answer all your doubts within no time if you choose a good host.

3. Would there be any problems choosing host or domain that is situated in the US? (apart from higher phone bills if I should need to contact via phone).
    Host from US would be great and most hosts reside in US If you can't afford phone, you can also choose live chat, which is free.

Good Luck
    Hymoo.com - Create Revolution - Help Us Spread The Word!
    Latest Wallpapers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We personally buy our Domains by ourselves with out own Domain Panel, However, As to your questions It would not really matter where you get your Domain from but I would purchase it seperate from my Webhosting Provider
    l SpeedySparrow sean [at] speedysparrow.com
    l Shared/Reseller LiteSpeed Ksplice R1Soft cPanel
    l Installatron Softaculous Cloudlinux RVSite Builder
    l Cloud Xen VPS Reliable & Sustainable Instant Setup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As rule web host can be reached through ticket system or email. If there are no urgent things or issues you can contact via email or ticket system.
    US has mo`re reach choice for the web hosting then any other region
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey for me powweb is gr8
    cheap and best
    {snip}
    Last edited by dklynn; May 5, 2009 at 16:30. Reason: self-promotion

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use hostgator and have had no problems thus far. i ahte godaddy, always looking for new ways to get money outta ya. plus they call from time to time asking if you want more of their crap.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a great experience with Godaddy as long as money isn't a huge issue.