SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to protect company computer

I am having ten computers in my office networked.But now some of my new staffs are misusing the full control privilege given to them on the system.They are installing new software,using Virus effected USB etc.This make me mad.

We are using Windows XP for all computers.How or which software or softwares can help me to protect my computers.

I want to limit them from using USB,Install Softwares as well as track the logged and working hours of each staffs.

Can anyone help me ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creating another user account on every computer without an administrator privilege will help minimize your employees to install softwares.You can also disable USB port by changing the default of registry edit.

I had also experienced that one but not in the office. In our house where my computer have only one account. Ever since i have that only account, my brother was always copying my files even my software games like world of warcraft that i treated as one of important files. And after those incidents, i tried to limit his access privilege to my computer. It is called user access level wherein you create another account with less privilege unlike the admin users.

I hope that it can help you even in a little way.

source:
    getusb
    fix.microsoft

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow Gold thanks for your great advise.Is there any software that does all this ?

I mean protect staffs from installing softwares,log there working hrs,USB Lock and many such protections and if possible screenshot and send it to my main computer or mail.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by priyakochin View Post
    Wow Gold thanks for your great advise.Is there any software that does all this ?

I mean protect staffs from installing softwares,log there working hrs,USB Lock and many such protections and if possible screenshot and send it to my main computer or mail.

Yeah, there is a software that can monitor & protect all your staffs from installing softwares and etc. Try spector360.

Spector 360 will help you to records your employees’ web sites visited, emails sent and received, chats and instant messages, keystrokes typed, files transferred, documents printed and applications run. In addition, through a first of its kind surveillance-like camera recording tool, Spector 360 shows you in exact visual detail what an employee does every step of the way.

If you want this, here is the resource link> spector360.

Hope it can really help you now to maintain the privacy of your computers. Good luck!

SitePoint Mentor NightStalker-DNS's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just be careful with this sort of thing. I would def not work for you if I had such a lack of privacy. Its a fact, that employees that have privacy and browse other websites eg facebook(within reason of course) are more productive as apposed to those who do not.

The furthest I would go would be to limit them from installing software without your consent. And install a good anti-virus.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is better just to tell them that installing software is not allowed.

If someone install any kind of software just cut sallery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good router will allow you to block all kinds of sites like facebook. For a small network like this I would be looking at a WatchGuard router.

You need to ask yourself, why are your employees doing this? Are you not challanging them enough? Are you measuring their performance?

Employees that do not perform, and that you cannot reply on need to be let go. It's that simple.
    Maarten

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will never win this battle. Try focusing on your own management skills and figure out the best overall way forward.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, the least intrusive way is to eliminate admin privileges for all users on their PC and to install something like Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate Edition on your network, which will make sure you have anti-virus on all PCs on the network and you can keep the anti-virus from being turned off and keep the signatures up-to-date at the network level (and it's cheaper than buying off-the-shelf versions of the software).

I'd leave the USB issue for now unless documents are walking out the door and focus more on making sure your network stays clean of gremlins you don't want.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hire IT administrator if you want to protect your bussines

SitePoint Enthusiast myndconsulting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First is you need to have a company policy against the issues you've mentioned.

Next thing you do is.. ENFORCE it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to whatever you decide...you should also look into
    Acronis True Image so you can easily restore your system to
    an earlier state when it's gets all screwed up