SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Looking to process credit card payments?

My father is looking to process credit card payments like any other company.

Can someone give me a reliable method for processing credit cards for an actual store.

Example: People ship him "stuff" he fixes it, wants to bill them and take their credit card over the phone.

Side Note: No Paypal, Google Checkout, or similar.

I've heard of 2 checkout, but he really needs something simple.

Any and all help very welcome.
    Last edited by mkoenig; Apr 22, 2009 at 12:48. Reason: spelt their wrong

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should talk to his preferred local bank and get a merchant account there. He doesn't need some kind of online service, or ISO/MSP that specializes in ecommerce, if he's going to be processing offline or by phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But that would then require he have a card scanner device and dial in the phone number correct?

thanks Dan by the way

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They would provide him with a terminal device to use to process cards, and a phone number to do authorizations by phone. Exactly what equipment he needs is something that can be discussed with the bank.

Another option, if he uses QuickBooks for accounting, is their merchant account program. It lets you type in the card info into QuickBooks to make the charge and record it at the same time.

http://payments.intuit.com/products/...g-services.jsp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... he is using quickbooks.

do you know what there fees are, i was looking on their site just a few seconds ago, and saw no mention of actual fee rates?

Thanks Dan tha Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the URL I added to the post above and click the pricing tab. It's not the cheapest, but it is convenient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan. Ill talk with him tonight and let him make the decision, now a little bit more informed thanks to you.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkoenig View Post
    Side Note: No Paypal, Google Checkout, or similar.
    May I ask why you do not want to use an online merchant service like PayPal or Google checkout? While some have had scarred history the online merchant systems are highly reputable these days and as a PayPal user myself I have not had any issue with their service (though I cannot speak for others). On the other hand if you did want to go with a bank or merchant service which uses online processing from a “more reputable” system you would be looking at something like WorldPay. There is a big catch though, the reason payment processors like PayPal have such a high customer base is their rates are very low and they are cheap (or free) to have accounts with. Merchant services like you are talking about have monthly fees attached to them and / or extremely expensive service plans which for the average person (as opposed to a large business) would seem over the top and not worthy of the time and effort it requires to set one up.

Honestly your best bet would probably be one of the processing services like PayPal, Google checkout or amazons own service.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate paypal. They've taken thousands of dollars from me, and do not have a real merchant program.

They are not transparent and side on the side of credit card companies nearly 100% of the time.

I can buy anything, anywhere with paypal get the product and unless they seller paid extra to have me sign for the package, i can call my credit card company and tell them there was an illegal charge and get my money back.

I despise paypal.

No offense, it was my first idea, i just fear my dad will get ripped of. It is one of those not if but when things.

Google checkout is a good alternative, but he's not really all that tech savy like us younger tech geeks.

Good idea though. I appreciate your reply

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How about Amazon's own merchant system? Amazon Flexible Payments, I have heard good things about it and Amazon are one of the few companies on the web I trust.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i trust amazon too.

Im going to look at that now.

Thanks Alex

Have you ever used them?

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider also Authorize.Net, which has pretty good rates. Things to watch out for: you want to make sure any cancellation fee is waived; you want to minimize any setup charge; you want to see what it takes to add credit cards other than the usual Visa/MC/Discover (sometimes there's an additional fee).

Good luck.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would he want to go with a 3rd party processor for website payments to take payments by phone?

Most of them don't offer a virtual terminal to allow keying in of cards, and when they do, their rates are higher than getting a merchant account, either from a bank or QuickBooks. The only concern is meeting the $20/month minimum, but it doesn't take that much work to get there. If he's paying the bills with this work, then he's processing enough that the merchant account will be cheaper.

And they don't offer the option of swiping his customers' cards in person, at a much lower rate than card-not-present transactions. We're talking 1.5% versus 2.9% PayPal takes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i've chatted with Quickbooks

I think he's going that route.

They have a deal now where you can get 2 months free. I think he's going to try that.

Serial Entrepreneur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan: we have an account that's via an Authorize.Net reseller and we have virtual terminal (same rate) and other features without additional charges for those features. I certainly wouldn't recommend PP, because their rules are skewed toward the buyers in a way where you can easily get screwed.
    FreelanceLocalTech - FREE Freelance Consultant Directory!
    VersaReports Universal Report Server for .Net - Try It Now!