User Tag List

Thread: hide html code

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hide html code

Is there a way to hide the HTML code within the <body> section because other websites are literally copying and pasting my content onto their page.

Also would hiding the code have a negative effect in terms of SEO.

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not possible. A browser takes the HTML and generates the output from that, so hiding it would be like telling someone to read from a blank sheet of paper.

There is a javascript-way to disable right-clicking, but this is terribly annoying, easy to bypass and generally a thing of the past.

So, I guess you are out of luck there.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to hide your code is not to publish it on the internet. I'm not joking!

There are various ways that claim to hide the source code, but at best they will slow down some absolute newbies.

If someone is stealing copyrighted material from your site, you need to contact your lawyer and pursue this matter in a court of law.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could encrypt the HTML using one of the expensive programs around that have been designed for that purpose but that will only work if the people you are trying to protect it from do not have access to one of the free programs that can be used to decrypt it - such as Internet Explorer or Firefox.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i thought as much.

well my next question would be who here had gone through the process of copywriting their digital website content (text/images).

is there a general protocol/organisation that deals with this, is it specific to a country/region??

thanks

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by antonyx View Post
    well my next question would be who here had gone through the process of copywriting their digital website content (text/images).
    It is country specific to some extent but in most countries it is simply a matter of if you created it then you automatically own the copyright on it unless you were operating under a work for hire agreement in which case the person/company you did the work for automatically owns the copyright. There are some countries that alos offer an option where you can register your copyright to make it easier to prove that you actually own it but only some countries offer that option and in most countries the fact that you created it is sufficient to give you the copyright). In most cases countries also respect the copyrights held by people in other countries.

One option that is worth considering is to make sure that all your content have copyright notices attached. While it is not necessary in most countries to apply a copyright notice in order to have the copyright, it does help with those morons who mistakenly believe that just because something doesn't have a copyright notice that they can get away with stealing it and then pleading ignorance that it was copyrighted.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Copyscape offers a service that protects your content. Not sure how effective they are.
    http://www.copyscape.com/

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Felgall is correct, in the majority of countries copyright is automatically given to the original author of the content, what may be worth noting is that you should provide a copyright message on each page with the content to state that all images and content are copyrighted to you (giving due warning) and perhaps have a terms of usage statement on your website declaring any particular rules you want applied to the content (such as if you are fine with them printing a copy but not claiming the work as their own). These may seem like simple measures but they give you added protection in terms of giving fair warning to those who might steal from you if you ever need to issue a DCMA takedown notice to an offending website.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)