SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Which is best for our needs? Drupal, Joomla or Expression Engine?

Hi guys.

I am developing a multi-site network of sites that are independently operated (for the most part) and share data like blogs, news, photos, videos, etc.
    I just settled on a Joomla, WordPress and VBulletin integration and started searching for developers when I thought I should really make sure Joomla is the correct choice for this type of setup.

I'm not looking to create a pissing contest between the various technologies or which one is "best". We all know all the major players have their benefits and drawbacks and many times it comes down to personal preference. I'm simply looking for the best option for MY situation.

The big 3 I'm considering are Joomla, Drupal and Expression Engine. I'm certainly open to other suggestions but I'd prefer to go with software that has large user bases. I've currently settled on Joomla because of the combination of large user base, flexibility and amount of extensions, modules, etc. From reading the interwebs I got the impression that Drupal was difficult to learn and rigid. Since I'll be hiring developers to do the work I couldn't care less about the learning curve of Drupal as long as the final product is what I need.

As I mentioned before, this will be a network of sites that will share the same framework and share some data. Each site will be operated independently where news, blogs, videos will be added by each site's admin but each site will have areas where info/data/news will appear from other sites in the network. Each site will have the ability to control some advertising space but there will also be Ad spaces in each site that will be controlled by the network. Most importantly is an easy to use back-end for site admins, bloggers, contributors to make updates, change colors, logos, banner ads, etc. Scalability is important because we need to be able to add sites quickly to the greater network as needed. We'll need to ability for site admins to set user permissions as well as the ability for admins of the network to control network-wide issues with power over site admins.

In your opinion, which CMS system gives us the best chance to achieve these goals? Does one excel any more than another at this type of setup?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds to me like you need to either do a heluvalot of customization of existing CMS or develop your own.

I have been developing a CMS that can probably do most of the things you need
    http://opensourcecms.sharedlog.com/

specifically - users can add own blogs, more like their own website because its going to also include image albums, video hosting.

Admin can do global administration.

I am available for installation, customization, consulting.

Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expression Engine, the others don't even contend IMO.

@AnthonySterling: I'm a PHP developer, a consultant for oopnorth.com and the organiser of @phpne, a PHP User Group covering the North-East of England.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my vote goes to joomla, i have used joomla as well as drupal, joomla has large collections of free mods and components. you might not require all the features joomla offers but in time if you want to expand joomla is the best option. on the other hand if you want simple blog druppal you should go for drupal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Joomla is best ....but if u hve fast/best linux web hosting server

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmeet View Post
    Joomla is best ....but if u hve fast/best linux web hosting server
    Thanks guys. After even more research I'm even more confident that Joomla is the best choice for me right now. The amount of professional extensions is amazing and will allow me to offer a site with tons of functionality with minimal upfront costs.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer your opinions.

BTW, I've got a dedicated server with HostGator. Hopefully that will be enough to run it but I'll have to see how it does..