SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help: video format choices?

hello all, we're trying to decide what is going to work best for what we're trying to achieve, and at the same time be as compatible as possible.

we can encode our small sample videos in .wmv , .mov , etc. but wondering what you all would suggest would be best in terms of usability and speed of stream/download.

on this page:

http://www.westcoastfilmworks.com/riders.htm

you can click on a riders name (stretch or crazy martin only at the moment have video) and it will pop their bio....inside the bio in the left hand lower corner are links for small video clips. we currently have them setup as .mov files, but i'm concerned that not alot of our viewers will have QT installed already.....what would you suggest? anyone dealt with streaming media like this?

i appreciate all your feedback, and thanks!

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a 100% sure but won't most surfers have windows media player pre installed?

So I suppose you would have to satisfy the majority...
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would you say i should have the video files converted to .wmv format so it will just stream into windows media player?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally prefer using Quicktime movies since the app works well on a variety of platforms...you may want to check out Quicktime's progressive download feature. If you're going to be compressing movies for the net a lot, get yourself a copy of Cleaner 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I wouldnt exclude Mac visitors (although Windows media player is available for Mac's now!). Quicktime seems to be a fairly good choice, I have read that the sorrenson codec is pretty good...takes a while to compress, but yeilds good results.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Sorenson 3 is an amazing codec. It is definitely worth checking out (http://www.sorenson.com). Sorenson also makes Sorenson Squeeze which I believe is a mini-version of Cleaner just for the Sorenson codec. You give it some settings (how big you want the file, what it's going to be used for, etc) and it takes care of the rest.

The other option that I forgot about last night is mpeg. Although you can't stream it, the mpeg format can be played in both Windows Media Player and in Quicktime (as well as other players) which would give you the cross-platform compatibility that you should have. As I said, it's not streamable which is a downside in addition to visible loss of video quality with improper settings. The file sizes can get very small though which is a plus.

I would play around with a few different formats/settings and see which one you like. I would definitely make sure whatever you choose can be played on a variety of platforms.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, we have them setup as .mov files, but i'm concerned about what the average user will already have installed. i don't want to scare anyone off with a "download QT" prompt if not necessary. any statistics out there showing what other developers are using mainly?

thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for .MOV (Quicktime) I would use Sorenson Video 3. For Windows Media Player (wouldn't even bother making anything for it as mostly everybody has Quicktime on there computer)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt bother with Windows Media Player. I dont use the program at all. Dont like it. Plus if you rely on that you are eliminating your Mac users... unless there is a Mac version out there. Im not aware of one but I could be wrong. Id use Quicktime MOV. I think most people can run those without any hassles to download.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a version of Windows Media Player for MAC ( I have it) but it blows