SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Can I do If a Buyer not complete the payment?

Hi

I sell a website here in Sitepoint, the buyer reach the reserve price and the end of the auction was the last week and he don't answer any email.

What can I do??

Greetings

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless you're going to identify him and begin a court case, which you could do if you really wanted to, then you need to try to find another buyer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you could find the buyer, get jurisdiction over him (which may be nearly impossible if you are not in the same country) and spend the legal fees necessary to pursue him (which, in the US and some other countries have to be borne by you even if you win!), if you win you probably can only recover your damages and not really force him to buy the site.

That means that you would still have to find another buyer. The extra costs of selling the site again and any difference between what the first buyer agreed to pay and what the second buyer actually paid would be your damages.

In other words, in most cases you simply have to chalk it up to a bad break and move on.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell a website here in Sitepoint, the buyer reach the reserve price and the end of the auction was the last week and he don't answer any email.
    Unfortunately, despite all Sitepoint's wording about legally binding contract, there is often absolutely nothing you can do.

I have long argued that Sitepoint should at least give people like you a free re-listing as standard as there seem to be a lot of non-paying buyers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just happened to me too. A bit different circumstances but similar. I'm out 40.00 and when I went to pay another 40.00 today to buy 40 more credits to relist sitepoint and paypal drew an echeck from my paypal account when there was 59.00 usd in it. Now I sit with a site unsold, and no credits to relist now. This is more than annoying.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SellingASite View Post
    Just happened to me too. A bit different circumstances but similar. I'm out 40.00 and when I went to pay another 40.00 today to buy 40 more credits to relist sitepoint and paypal drew an echeck from my paypal account when there was 59.00 usd in it. Now I sit with a site unsold, and no credits to relist now. This is more than annoying.
    Until your eCheck clears, PayPal doesn't send any money to whoever you paid. It's not SitePoint's fault you chose to use a 4-10 business day payment method to buy credits, I'm pretty sure PayPal tells you about that up front.

As for losing credits due to non-paying bidders, that is a concern SP is going to have to deal with eventually...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes no sense to me that paypal dipped into my bank however when I had 59.00 USD sitting there as clear funding in the account to cover the 40.00 for the credits.