User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about session length and timeout

Hi everyone,
    I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere else, I have been searching for a few days and can't seem to find anything to really do what I need it to do.

I have an account area on my site that requires login. Some sections of the account area require entering long lengths of text so I am concerned that a session will timeout before the account holder has finished and saved their work. I would like to be able to warn them of the pending timeout x number of minutes beforehand and give them the opportunity to extend their session. I have "kind of" accomplished this with javascript and an iframe (--javascript popup warning occurs with a button that when clicked refreshes a small iframe in the parent window that contains the session timer) but this seems horribly inaccessible.

Is there any way to do this that is accessible? I have concluded that I could:

1. Simply have a note on the page that states, "Sessions timeout in 30 minutes, so please save your work often" -- I am concerned that they may not pay attention to it.

2. Have a javascript timer alert when there are 2 minutes left in the session and warn to save work -- could be used along with #1. Still doesn't help those with Javascript turned off.

3. See if the smart folks at Sitepoint have any better ideas!

Any thought or ideas are greatly appreciated.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    With JS on, you might even think about an autosave feature
    But without JS, I don't know. Other than increasing the session time out period, that is. What environment/languages are we talking about?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I should have said that it is programmed in PHP.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by affmark View Post
    Sorry, I should have said that it is programmed in PHP.
    I thought so
    My guess is you can't do it without JS. But who knows, let's see if someone has an idea