SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what would you guys do?

I have been contacted by a founder/admin of a major forum about my website. The deal was for me to integrate my current website database into his forum. I believe I will benefit greatly from his user base. I don't even have 1% of his user. Should I work a deal out because of his user base and similar interest of content of his site, or should I continue on my own and hope to generate my own users? HELPPPP!!!!!!

Here's the Pro

1. 8,000 member currently on his forum
    2. PR 4 on home page
    3. Forum is FULL of content and has a great community of user
    4. Adsense is about $20 a day (site is only 2 years old) is this good?
    5. I'll maintain all right to my content and database ( I still have complete control and rights)

What do you believe are the con's about going through with this deal?

Here's what I am scared off:

1. loosing my own present online about my niche
    2. loosing adsense dollars to his forum becuase we have to split the wealth

Has anyone ever workout a deal similar, or has anyone ever share adsense dollars with a partner?

Help!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why do you think he is bothering to ask to absorb your site? whats in it for him - thats the 1st question I would try to work out.

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by entrecast View Post
    I don't even have 1% of his user.

loosing adsense dollars to his forum becuase we have to split the wealth
    So potentially 100 times the revenue (although unlikely but you would have to split that 100 times by 2 so only 50 times the revenue).

The hard part about building a site is getting the user base, it sounds to me like you have an offer to do all the hard work for you.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @g1siberia He has been trying to create a similar site to minds for years, I have seen his prototype and it's not bad, but minds is 70% done and is stiil currently in beta testing but it available to the public. Where as his, is just ideas and a little bit of coding that does nothing. There are 5 other competitors in my niche and his forum have a bigger user base that my competitors, so if we team up we will capture the whole market for this niche.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tke71709 View Post
    So potentially 100 times the revenue (although unlikely but you would have to split that 100 times by 2 so only 50 times the revenue).

The hard part about building a site is getting the user base, it sounds to me like you have an offer to do all the hard work for you.
    @tke71709
    Yes and no all adsense dollars off of my pages are 100% my profit ;however, once we start charging for the service he wants 50% of the profit. I have to admit he's not charging me any server space AT ALL . To give you an idea my competitor with the same niche with a user base of around 5000+ charge $30usd a year.

@tke71709
    Not sure what you met here, but if your referring to getting the user base, then yes that is the hardest part from me!!!
    Last edited by entrecast; Apr 21, 2009 at 12:40. Reason: I responded with my comments within the qoutes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so basically, it sounds like a good idea, you just aren't sure if you can trust the guy?

Cheers,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @CWebguy we're coming around to trusting each other , i just hope he don't have a hidden agenda. Not to mention that I don't want to sell myself short either.

SitePoint Zealot Mooladaysdotcom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say the only thing you should be scared of is the split of the cash. Make sure the arrangements are clear and you will receive some of the payment 100%
    Make Extra Money, Ways to Make Money Online
    Read Our Article On Learn Keyword SEO

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading this today and thought it was relevant to the discussion.

http://partneringprofits.com/Partner...w-Chapters.pdf

Read the part that starts on page 8 about BUT... AREN'T YOU GIVING AWAY THE FARM?

That's the point I was trying to make.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tke71709 Wow, that was a nice read, thanks for sharing!!!!